Related Article: Install memory in an iMac

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What can you do with the old memory when you upgrade?

I have upgraded my 2008 IMac from 2 to 4 DRAM and my 2011 MBP laptop from 4 to 8 dram...what can I do with the old Memory? Also, I still use my 2003 laptop IMac but would like to use the super drive and it has stopped working...any ideas?....I have a 2002 Power book last that still works and has a superdrive.....

I hate waste!

Isn't there some way to use these old machines?

IMAC & powerbook and new Imac w/ leopard, Mac OS X (10.5.4), null

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 10:22 AM

1 reply

Oct 6, 2015 10:29 AM in response to Celeste Jones

Celeste,

Keep the old RAM. If you still have the two Macs you can always use it to test if you every have RAM related issues. If you upgrade and buy RAM from OWC (www.macsales.com) they have a RAM trade in program too.

Regarding the 2002 & 2003, donate them to a church or other entity you believe in. You can also recycle them, Apple has a recycling program and also many office supply stores do too. For example if you are in the US, contact your local Office Depot or Staples and ask. That way you at least have the peace of mind that the machines will be recycled responsibly.

What can you do with the old memory when you upgrade?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.