Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find My iPhone

I recently lost my iPhone 6, however, I had the find my iPhone application installed and registered. When I tried to find my phone, though, it wouldn't work as the phone was either off/dead/etc and labeled "offline". I then reactivated an old iPhone using the same iCloud username as the lost iPhone 6. When I use find my iPhone now, it shows both devices, my iPhone6 and the reactivated iPhone 5. Since I reactivated the iPhone 5 with the same iCloud username, is it doing me any good to keep watching to see if the iPhone6 that's still on find my iPhone comes back online? I figured that if the iPhone 6 was turned back on, it would still register with my iCloud info as long as it wasn't wiped. Is this true or should I just use the "erase iPhone" feature of find my iPhone to wipe that one clean?

iPhone 6, iOS 9.0.1

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 11:16 AM

3 replies

Oct 6, 2015 11:51 AM in response to kiserl89

Hi Kiser189.

I would recommend that you leave your phone in your list of devices. If you remove it from your list of devices, someone that found it could activate it and use it. So long as your phone was locked, there is no harm called by leaving it in the list. If you ever see it online, you could send a message to the phone, requesting its return.

Howard

Oct 6, 2015 12:50 PM in response to howarduns

Thanks Howard - do you know if the Find My iPhone app is actually tracking the right device though? My concern is that since I activated another phone using the same iCloud username, it's no longer linked to my old phone and that tracking it will get me nowhere (i.e. it will always be "offline"). Does this make my question more clear?

Find My iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.