Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone didn't ring, made loud scratchy noise instead

Just a moment ago, my older daughter tried to call me, but instead of the phone ringing, it made a horrible, loud scratchy noise, almost as though a weather or Amber alert was coming in, but it wasn't an alert. I was about 10 feet away from the phone when this happened and I literally jumped from the noise. When I picked up the phone to see what was happening now, after all the other problems since updating to iOS 9.0.2, I logged in and saw I'd missed a call from my daughter. She also has an iPhone, but I don't know which iOS she's using. I'm on T-Mobile and she's with AT&T.

I tried to call her back, but nothing happened, so I hung up. Just tried again and got a very strange scratchy sound, but no ringing, then a voice that sounded British came on and said, "then hash to end," and it disconnected.

Wow, I've never had so many problems with an iOS before. I'm going to try going back to the last 8 version.

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 9:54 AM

2 replies

Oct 6, 2015 10:43 AM in response to schoodle

Correction, the voice says, "and push hash to end." I couldn't even leave a voice message for her. I tried two more times and got the same problem.

Tried T-Mobile customer service and got through just fine.

Tried calling my younger daughter, who is also with T-Mobile, and got through just fine. Tried calling a few others and no problems.

Ah ha, my older daughter's voicemail just came through, about 10 minutes after she left it. She's gone camping with her husband. Yet, why didn't I just get her voicemail when I called her, as I did when I called her husband's phone?

They are on the same phone plan, are in the same car, and yet this odd stuff is only happening when I call her.

They both have an iPhone 5, but I don't know if either of them have updated to the new iOS 9 versions, if so, to which one.

So, I've reverted to texting her, which seems to be working, but I still can't call her.

iPhone didn't ring, made loud scratchy noise instead

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.