Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adobe Illustrator CS5 font preview display issues since El Capitan

I am on AI CS5, but El Cap broke my WYSIWYG preview of fonts in my AI toolbar. When I click on Character in the toolbar and try to select a font, I get a long list of icons of the font designer, but the font faces aren't displayed. Individually, they are there if you drag down, but collectively (so you can compare type faces), they are not. I have tried dumping the fontlist pref from the Adobe folder of it's App Support and cleaned font prefs, and used Font Book to check the validity of each font, but nothing has fixed it. Any thoughts of what else I might try? I have also tried replacing the JAVA file in the main library as some have found that this change brings CS6 back to life and allows you to start the program, but no luck for me in fixing the font issue.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 27 inch i7

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 11:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 3:52 PM

Hi Raicya,

This was a very useful tip as it led me rather indirectly to an answer to my question. The issue is resolved. What I did was..

Open System Preferences and go to Accessibility, selected Display from the list, then checked the box labelled “Reduce transparency.”

The fonts in the list darkened and became visible, so resolved the issue with font preview not being visible in Illustrator CS5.

Thanks to you for pointing me in a useful direction, and someone else who figured this out previously with an older OS.

Happy Camper Again! Cheers!

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 6, 2015 3:52 PM in response to Raicya

Hi Raicya,

This was a very useful tip as it led me rather indirectly to an answer to my question. The issue is resolved. What I did was..

Open System Preferences and go to Accessibility, selected Display from the list, then checked the box labelled “Reduce transparency.”

The fonts in the list darkened and became visible, so resolved the issue with font preview not being visible in Illustrator CS5.

Thanks to you for pointing me in a useful direction, and someone else who figured this out previously with an older OS.

Happy Camper Again! Cheers!

Oct 6, 2015 12:34 PM in response to Raicya

Thanks Raicya,

I read through, but on both sites this issue has not come up with any other users so far. I have done a lot of web searching before I posted, but to no avail. If anyone comes up with a work around or even lets me know they have the same font issue, it might help to bring this to the attention of those smarter than I (although I do instruct and repair apple as a bit of a sideline, so I do have a pretty good handle on a lot of mac procedures). I appreciate the links! I will keep my eye on them in case anything relevant comes up.

Adobe Illustrator CS5 font preview display issues since El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.