Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updated to Capitan, iTunes quits on start

As the headline says; after updating to Capitan, iTunes quits on start. In more detail, the iTunes window opens normally, and immediately the "The last time you opened iTunes it unexpectedly quit" window with the do / don't reopen buttons pop up. Then the iTunes quick tour window opens beneath it. All options are greyed out. No matter whether I choose to reopen or nor, iTunes quits and I get the "iTunes quit unexpectedly" window.

As far as I can tell, all my music files are where they're supposed to be. I've reinstalled iTunes (downloaded from Apple), logged out, logged in, and rebooted my mac. Tried starting iTunes with the option key down. Choosing the old itl library causes iTunes to quit. Choosing "create new" gives me an empty (new) iTunes folder and then iTunes quits again.

I have the following files in my iTunes folder (plus lots of music files):

iTunes Library Extras.itdb

iTunes Library Genius.itdb

iTunes Library.itl

iTunes Library.xml

iTunes Music Library.xml

I used Time Machine to restore iTune Library.itl to a pre-Capitan version. It didn't seem to make a difference.

I found this in the crash log:

Crashed Thread: 0 iTunes main Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGILL)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000

Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Application Specific Information:

Crashing on exception: *** -[__NSArrayM objectAtIndex:]: index 0 beyond bounds for empty array

Also:

Thread 0 Crashed:: iTunes main Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

0 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff93feda46 -[NSApplication _crashOnException:] + 109

1 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fff93fed9a0 -[NSApplication reportException:] + 140

My system:

iMac 12.2 (2011)

Intel Core i7

3,4 GHz

1 processor, 4 cores

Memory 16 GB

iTunes 12,3

OS X El Capitan 10.11

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 10:43 AM

1 reply

Oct 10, 2015 5:46 AM in response to C Lund

OK: I solved it.

Reinstalling iTunes did not help.

Reinstalling Capitan did not help.

Installing iTunes again did not help.

I tried running iTunes from Terminal. Still no go, but, Terminal produced some very interesting error messages. First of all, they were related to core image kernels. Secondly it had this line here:

3 CoordinateSwap2 0x000000011656194d -[CoordinateSwap2Filter init] + 349

This is a semi-functional filter I've been working on on and off for a while. It reside in the /Library/Graphics/Image Units folder up until now. Removing it solved the problem. The other two dozen home-brew filters I have in that folder seem to get along with iTunes.

iTunes is running just fine in the background now, so I'm good.

Does anyone know why Capitan+iTunes has problems with this one specific filter? Any thoughts?

Updated to Capitan, iTunes quits on start

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.