Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I delete music from my iPhone via iTunes?

"Back in the day" it was simple; I could go to "Music on my iPhone", highlight the songs I no longer wanted on my iPhone, press the 'Delete' key on my keyboard and voila! That song would "magically" no longer be on my iPhone.

Well, since this most recent batch of updates (complete overhaul of the Music app, incorporating Apple Music) I can no longer utilize this simple, easy, USEFUL method for controlling the content on my iPhone.

For those of you wondering, yes; my iTunes and iPhone are currently up-to-date:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

And while I used to have "Manually Manage my Music and Videos" check box checked, it is now labeled "Manually Manage Videos":

User uploaded file

Furthermore, there doesn't seem to be a way to remove any songs from my iPhone 6 without doing so one-by-one from my iPhone which is, let's call it "ridiculous".

Does anyone have any advice or perhaps some information that is glaringly obvious that I am simply overlooking?

iPhone 6, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 11:12 AM

1 reply

Oct 6, 2015 12:28 PM in response to NJoyce783

While your iPhone is plugged in to iTunes, go to the Music tab:

User uploaded file

Uncheck the "Sync Music" box on top:

User uploaded file

Then click "Apply" in the lower right to send this instruction to the iPhone and perform the "sync" of everything except the music.

That will clear your iPhone ... assuming your iPhone does not receive any music from iCloud (e.g., from iTunes Match).

Why can't I delete music from my iPhone via iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.