Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I maximize my Internet signal through my home office?

How can I maximize my internet signal strength (for Netflix, music etc.) through my home office. I presently have a a router run through my Airport utility with several Airport express units. It works well at times but drops out at other times.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion, CD slot retrieval

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 11:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 4:55 PM

Several Express is scary and the wrong way to do things.

The best way to get good signal is to use ethernet and forget wireless altogether.

If that is not possible run ethernet at least to an express near where you need signal.. in the same room is best.

If that is not possible try using EOP adapters.. homeplug in the US.. they don't always work.. but when they do.. they are consistent.. unlike wireless.. which is more akin to voodoo black arts project.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2015 4:55 PM in response to Mark 31

Several Express is scary and the wrong way to do things.

The best way to get good signal is to use ethernet and forget wireless altogether.

If that is not possible run ethernet at least to an express near where you need signal.. in the same room is best.

If that is not possible try using EOP adapters.. homeplug in the US.. they don't always work.. but when they do.. they are consistent.. unlike wireless.. which is more akin to voodoo black arts project.

Oct 7, 2015 1:22 PM in response to Mark 31

Mark 31 wrote:

Thank-you,

Are you saying I could run Cat 5 to another room and then set up another express (or Extender or Hub) there and branch off of that? Can I them use another express in another part of the home/office? I've tried the power adapters but without success.

IF you tried EOP and they didn't work then you have two choices..

1. Replace the apple wireless gear with really high power stuff.. eg Ubiquiti which will work..

2. Run ethernet and make sure your signal level is high in every place you require wireless connection.. using repeaters is the worst way to do that.. go back to 1. if you have to use repeaters. Ethernet to multiple locations so everywhere you need wireless there is an AP connected back to main router by ethernet. You should be able to cover the average house with 3 units.. if you need more than 3 because signal is too weak, run more ethernet.. or buy AP from a brand like Ubiquiti that have high power units.

Express are very average wireless AP..

Oct 9, 2015 10:51 AM in response to Mark 31

They are semi pro designed for business and should handle any usage that a business needs..

(Notice I am hedging my bets here.. )

Apple uses strange protocols unknown to the outside world. Many routers have issues with bonjour, mdns, airplay or airdrop for instance. Certainly if you want apple protocols to work do use apple routers. (And a lot of ethernet!!)

The best way to discover this kind of stuff is spend 5min on google..

Simply type in the Apple protocol you are wanting to use and the brand of equipment you want to use..

So I quickly discover yes... it does have issues.

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/Airplay-Dropping-Out/td-p/651351

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/AirPrint-amp-AirPlay-on-Guest-Netwo rk/td-p/920558

Scan through the posts to see if they got answers.. Sometimes it will be yes and sometimes a no.

If Apple didn't live inside a walled garden of their own building life would be easier.. or made products that worked.. particularly network products.. people would have less hassles.. unfortunately choosing to live in the walled garden can be harder than outside it.

How can I maximize my Internet signal through my home office?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.