Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Rental Not Streaming Via AirPlay To Apple TV

Just rented 'Man Up' SD film in iTunes store on Ipad. Plays on IPad fine. Clicked on AirPlay to put on TV via Apple TV & nothing happens. Clicked to mirroring instead & the whole screen including film does actually pop up, but only for one second though (the fact it does pop up momentarily here suggests there should be a simple explanation as there must be a link). Has worked fine with rented films before up until now.

Things checked: both are set up to same wi-fi network, rebooted Apple TV, tested network signal strength on Apple TV (came up with 5 dots which I assume is ok), reduced video resolution in ITunes Store on Apple TV Settings (in case it was an issue with it being a SD instead of HD rental).

So IPad working fine, rest of Apple TV working fine such as YouTube or Skynews links, but AirPlay or AirPlay Mirroring does not work with a rented ITunes Store film downloaded onto my IPad? Any ideas please,

iPad Air

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 11:22 AM

9 replies

Oct 11, 2015 3:07 PM in response to vazandrew

Used a free app & signal strength almost always showing between 90-95 Mbps. Don't know if that's good or not.

Just rented another film & same thing happens. Clicked on AirPlay & all that happens is a little box flashes up for a couple of seconds bottom left on Apple TV menu that shows the film title. Clicked on Mirroring & the film does play but only for a second but then goes black on TV & iPad. Don't know why it's not working anymore, it was fine a few months back.

I bought the Apple TV box beginning of 2014. Has it been superseded?

My suspicions, backed up by numerous rants I've seen on the web, are from firmware updates made in April/May this year. Wonder if I can back out the updates & restore to a previous date to test the theory

Oct 11, 2015 3:49 PM in response to cushti

You would need a full diagnostics report with values for signal strength and noise, along with showing nearby networks. When I said another source, I meant using airplay with something other then an iTunes rental. I would also suggest testing on another network

If it were firmware this would be a widespread issue, which it is not. Going to previous firmware is not supported anyway.

Oct 13, 2015 1:22 AM in response to vazandrew

Thanks for all the quick responses. I'm not in IT so network testing is beyond me so I tried the next best thing.

took this to work & tested it on their apple TV used in meeting rooms (so totally different apple TV & different wifi network). I set the Ipad to match this apple TV wifi network & got exactly the same result as above (i.e: Airplay Mirroring flashes the film up for about a second & then stops & goes black, & clicking on just Airplay stops the film on the Ipad & a small box just comes up on the TV apple menu which shows the film title in bottom lhs of the TV screen for a couple of seconds).

Is this a copyright/protected issue as if the film thinks it's only allowed to be played on what it's downloaded onto - Itunes rental issue? I love my apple products but this is getting very tiresome for something that's supposed to be plug & play with no error/fault/user issue messages shown.

Oct 13, 2015 7:02 AM in response to cushti

Until recently Rentals were prevented from beig airplayed, are ATV and iPad up to date? I forgot to ask initially, but is the film fully loaded on the iPad? Work environments tend to have things in place to block certain content so that may not be a suitable test environment. I would take it to Apple to see if it persists there.

iTunes Rental Not Streaming Via AirPlay To Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.