Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backing up iPhoto

i want to backup my photos on iMac (which were originally on iPhone 5) to an external hard drive, but I cannot open them on the external after copying them over. Would appreciate guidance on backing up photos to an external. I'm using iMac and a HD Passport external. I am totally new to iMAC and learning basics now. Thanks for any help.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 11:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 11:43 AM

What exactly do you want to back up? The iphoto Library:

Most Simple Back Up:

Drag the iPhoto Library from your Pictures Folder to another Disk. This will make a copy on that disk.

Slightly more complex: Use an app that will do incremental back ups. This is a very good way to work. The first time you run the back up the app will make a complete copy of the Library. Thereafter it will update the back up with the changes you have made. That makes subsequent back ups much faster. Many of these apps also have scheduling capabilities: So set it up and it will do the back up automatically.

Example of such apps: Chronosync- but there are many others. Search on MacUpdateor the App Store

Just the Photos?

Export them from iPhoto using the File -> Export command

This User Tip

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4921

has details of the options in the Export dialogue.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2015 11:43 AM in response to epeltz

What exactly do you want to back up? The iphoto Library:

Most Simple Back Up:

Drag the iPhoto Library from your Pictures Folder to another Disk. This will make a copy on that disk.

Slightly more complex: Use an app that will do incremental back ups. This is a very good way to work. The first time you run the back up the app will make a complete copy of the Library. Thereafter it will update the back up with the changes you have made. That makes subsequent back ups much faster. Many of these apps also have scheduling capabilities: So set it up and it will do the back up automatically.

Example of such apps: Chronosync- but there are many others. Search on MacUpdateor the App Store

Just the Photos?

Export them from iPhoto using the File -> Export command

This User Tip

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4921

has details of the options in the Export dialogue.

Oct 6, 2015 11:42 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks for fast response! another Disk (?) like a cd?

I will check out your other suggestions as well. i want to make sure that wherever i store my photos, they will be there later. has to be well established. i'll also go to the discussion link you sent.

I also need to figure out how to backup everything else!! one step at a time.

Backing up iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.