Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Access to time capsule

My wife and I share a time capsule. My computer has died and I want to access my saved files with my wife's computer. How do I do this? Anyone? Neil

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 11:12 AM

4 replies

Oct 6, 2015 2:01 PM in response to Wharenu1

You files are in TM backup??

The best way to get your files is to migrate them to the wife's computer..

However you need to be careful doing this to not mess up the wife's configuration.

Although well out of date please read the info Pondini has on migration.

http://pondini.org/OSX/MigrateLion.html

If possible I would plug in a USB drive and use that as the target..

However it is not hard to manually access some files.. what is hard is things like mail as email accounts cannot be combined neatly.

It also depends then on how similar the two computers are.. if one is much earlier or later than the other it can have issues.. and you don't want to move apps or settings just the user files.

Oct 13, 2015 5:38 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thank you for your comments. MY problem is I cannot start my computer. I have taken it to Apple who say it has a hardware problem and thinks repair may not be economical. I thought I might be able to enter the time capsule through my wife's computer and access My files that are backed up there. How would I go about migrating my backed up files to my wife's computer?

Oct 13, 2015 1:53 PM in response to Wharenu1

Follow the instructions from Pondini.. please read that carefully.

Then use whatever OS your wife has on her computer instructions.

ie if she is running Yosemite.. open and follow these instructions.

OS X Yosemite: Transfer your info from a computer or storage device

Make sure you have a good working backup of your wife's computer because this is not such a great idea. That is why I suggested using a USB drive.. if you are not prepared to do that.. you must be aware of the issues that can arise.. which is what Pondini spells out.

Oct 13, 2015 2:17 PM in response to LaPastenague

I called Apple who talked me through a process that has worked. I will see if I can reproduce it here. In my wife's computer select Finder, select time capsule from Shared, then Data, my sparse bundle, then my time machine in Devices, then backups, select my Mackbook, hard drive, users, my name, documents. I could then open my docs and save to my wife's directory. There seemed to me a few extra steps there but it worked ok. Thank you for your advice.

Access to time capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.