Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

accessing Mail with OS X El Capitan

I just installed OS X El Capitan this morning and can no longer access my MSN email via the mail app. I have an iMac (27" Mid 2011, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 desktop. The Mail app says it can't connect to the account "MSN" and asks for my password. When I enter it, I get the message "Unable to verify account name or password." Yet, I can still go to Safari, then to Microsoft and enter my UserID and password, I can get my email that way. So, my password to the Mail app is correct. Any quick fixes?

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 11:37 AM

2 replies

Jun 15, 2016 7:50 PM in response to Georgie464

I had the same problem and error message. Something, somewhere changed the incoming MSN (Live) mail server from IMAP to POP. I finally was able to connect by:

* Going into MSN (Live) mail in my Safari browser

* Selecting Options

* Under "IMAP and POP", selecting the radio button for, "Enable devices and applications to use POP".

Works great!

(For info, this same page will show you Microsoft's current parameters for POP, IMAP and SMTP type accounts. Useful for verifying your setup in Apple Mail Accounts/Preferences.)

accessing Mail with OS X El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.