Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad showing iTunes plug in after downloading iOS

SShowing plug to iTunes after downloading new version ios9

wwhy?

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 9.0.1

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 12:09 PM

9 replies

Oct 7, 2015 4:13 AM in response to King_Penguin

I see. I thought that iPad Airs were 'PC Free' and could be updated wirelessly. The iPad belongs to a relative of mine, several hundred miles away from me and she may not have immediate access to a PC/Mac. Perhaps she can take to an Apple Store as you suggest. Is this a glitch with her iPad Air, shouldn't they be PC free? Does she just need to quickly connect it to get past a glitch - or is there a lengthy process after connecting (will it try to sync, finish upgrade, etc)? Thanks for your responses.

Oct 7, 2015 4:50 AM in response to jjjy

All software has bugs in them, and unfortunately with iOS devices it sometimes requires them to be connected to a computer's iTunes in order to reset them and get them up-and-running again.

If it's not up-to-date then it may try to download the update.

Do you know if she's been backing up to the cloud so that she has something to restore to ? If she has then after resetting the iPad back to factory defaults via a computer's iTunes she can do Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content & Settings on the iPad to get to the iOS Setup Assistant screens and be able to select and restore to her iCloud backup

Oct 7, 2015 4:58 AM in response to King_Penguin

My sense is that she doesn't do any backups and I don't think she'll be able to surpass the 'iTunes plug in' screen to get to settings regardless (tough for me to say since I don't have it in my hands). Either way, I hope to visit her in a couple weeks, so if she isn't able to track down a computer to restore - then I should probably take my mac with me to help her. Thanks King Penguin.

iPad showing iTunes plug in after downloading iOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.