Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adware On iOS 9

I have an Adware problem that I just cannot seem to shake. I continue to get Adware pop-ups on my iPad2 running iOS 9. I have done all of the recommended things such as:

Removed visited web site(s) by swiping up after double tapping home button.

Cleared History & Website Data.

Manually Cleared Website Data.

Blocked Pop-Ups.

Blocked Cookies (Set To Allow From Current WebSite Only)

Did a Soft Re-Boot.(On/Off Botton)

Did a Hard Re-Boot (Home & On/Off Buttons)

Nothing seems to stop them.

I have not downloaded any new Apps in months, just performed updates.

What am I missing? Where could they possibly be coming from?

Is my only and last resort to do a complete factory re-set and then restore from iTunes backup?

iPad 2, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 12:05 PM

4 replies

Oct 7, 2015 6:55 AM in response to Mobile Blues

Connect to the Internet at a friend's house or using public wifi at library/school/cafe.

If no problem using a different Internet connection, your home router is corrupt. Check the

router manufacturer's website for assistance. Sometimes removing power from the router

for 30 seconds to a minute is enough to clear the problem. You could also try removing

the router power first before testing other Internet connections to see if that helps.

Oct 7, 2015 8:59 AM in response to Mobile Blues

If your iPad 2 is not jailbroken, the source of the problem may not be on the iPad. If that's the case, a factory reset won't fix anything on the iPad.

A couple of things come to my mind:

1) You have a compromised router and it's serving ads to the iPad

2) The website you visit has been compromised and now serving ads to visitors

Oct 7, 2015 9:16 AM in response to ShagCA

1) The adware occurs even if I use it on several different WiFi networks or routers.

2) The adware occurs only on my iPad and not on any of my other iOS devices like iPhones or my wife's iPad.

As for the web site(s) they are various major web sites (Apple's as an example) and the adware does not occur on any of our other iOS devices.

It appears as though it has somehow gotten itself embedded into Safari somehow. I know that is not supposed to happen, or can't happen, but it has, maybe those adware Jerks have gotten really good or maybe I'm the first thais has happened to, but it sure is aggravating.

I guess I will have to do a factory re-set, what a pain.

Oct 7, 2015 1:53 PM in response to Mobile Blues

I agree with you. It sounds like the device is the source of the problem. There's a slim chance your iPad is infected but look up "YiSpecter ios malware". Here's a couple of links:

http://www.wired.com/2015/10/iphone-malware-hitting-china-lets-not-next/

http://researchcenter.paloaltonetworks.com/2015/10/yispecter-first-ios-malware-a ttacks-non-jailbroken-ios-devices-by-abusing-private-apis/

Does that sound like something that happens to your device before you got the ads problem?

Adware On iOS 9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.