Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine: Can I Still Retrieve Old Backups w/out an External Backup Device?

Okay, so long story short, I manually cleaned my Macbook and deleted some files in an attempt to remove some hidden malware. But it was a really bad idea as now I can't power up my Mac without using the SMC power option every time, along with surfing being extraordinarily slow, and other problems. I know I can set my Mac back to an earlier time period before all this happened using Time Machine, but now I'm seeing errors in that application as well. I can't go back in time to earlier dates because they've been greyed out. Only stuff that have happened as of today shows.

Also, I didn't realize Time Machine functions using an external disk? Well I had a Time Capsule that I backed up all my files into, but I stupidly erased everything in there and sold that item. I also checked on my Time Capsule preferences and it shows the word "none" for "Oldest Backup" and "Latest Backup." Does this officially mean all my files are lost now, and that there's no single way possible to retrieve any files for an older date (specifically to a date a week before today, September 28th), or restore my Mac to a previous setting? Please, I am in a really desperate situation right now and would really like to get an answer. If it's something I can fix myself, I'd be more than happy to do it, rather than paying for the whole apple care service.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 12:20 PM

7 replies

Oct 6, 2015 12:29 PM in response to sinsenest

Well I had a Time Capsule that I backed up all my files into, but I stupidly erased everything in there and sold that item.

Then, unfortunately you have no backup of your Mac.

Does this officially mean all my files are lost now, and that there's no single way possible to retrieve any files for an older date (specifically to a date a week before today, September 28th), or restore my Mac to a previous setting?

Unfortunately, if you have no backup, there are no files to retrieve.

If it's something I can fix myself, I'd be more than happy to do it, rather than paying for the whole apple care service.

Our advice would be to take the Mac to an Apple repair shop, so they can get the Mac up and running again.

Oct 6, 2015 10:10 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Okay, sorry to bother you but I got a few other questions. Back when I had my Time Capsule, I was able to restore my Macbook to a previous setting (or date) with it whilst using the Time Machine app, and I rarely ever had my Time Capsule hooked onto my Macbook. Do you think if I bought another external hard drive, like a Seagate Backup (and start backing up all my files to it), it would be able to recover previous dates in Time Machine? I asked because it worked with the Time Capsule, but I'm not sure if it'll work using a different external hard drive. I hope Time Capsule is not the only thing that can work with Time Machine... Sorry I'm really horrible at this. Thanks for all your help, much is appreciated at this point.

Oct 6, 2015 10:15 PM in response to LaPastenague

I am very bad with tech stuff. I tried to repair my old Macbook but got nowhere with that one. I was going to get the Seagate Backup since I stupidly sold my old Time Capsule. I was also stuck at the point wondering if I got the Seagate Backup and started doing backups on it now, would it be able to retrieve recovered settings from older dates? Because this was something that my Time Capsule was able to do. It never even hooked onto my Macbook besides one or two days that I've had it for over a year and it was still able to recover frequent dates.

Oct 7, 2015 4:27 AM in response to sinsenest

That is just how Time Machine works.. it has nothing to do with the Time Capsule.. which is merely a target for the backup.. Time Machine can backup to any local drive formatted for Mac and it can backup to some network targets that specifically state compatibility with Time Machine.

Do you think if I bought another external hard drive, like a Seagate Backup (and start backing up all my files to it), it would be able to recover previous dates in Time Machine?

You can only recover up to the date you begin the backup.. you cannot use it gain earlier backups than what is available in the backup target disk.

If earlier backups exist on the original backup .. then yes you can sometimes recover them to another location like a USB drive.. but I am not sure that is what you mean.

Well I had a Time Capsule that I backed up all my files into, but I stupidly erased everything in there and sold that item.

Then those backups are gone forever.

Time Machine: Can I Still Retrieve Old Backups w/out an External Backup Device?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.