Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't update my ipad 2, every time I attempt the new ios 9 update from my ios 7, it says error. I'm not sure I want to update after reading about problems but I can't download some apps because my ios is out of date

Every time I attempt an update my Ipad 2 to ios 9.0.2 it goes to preparing update gets about 50% then says an error occurred downloading, software update failed. I'm not really sure I want it to update after all the problems I'm reading about but now I'm having problems downloading any apps and most I try to download need a higher operating system. I use my Ipad for college and some of the apps I need I can't download. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

iPad 2, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 12:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 1:12 PM

Force restart you iPad and then try again, no data will be lost. Hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home button for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.

IF that doesn't help, try using iTunes instead of trying to update over WiFi - or try another WiFi network.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2015 1:12 PM in response to shaina83

Force restart you iPad and then try again, no data will be lost. Hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home button for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.

IF that doesn't help, try using iTunes instead of trying to update over WiFi - or try another WiFi network.

Oct 11, 2015 9:18 AM in response to Demo

I think there is a serious problem when you try to update your device from iOS 7 to iOS 9.

I was happy with my iPad (4th gen) with iOS 7 until I had the constant restart loop problem (as many other users have reported).

At that point, the only solution was to reset the device, but then the I had the finishing update problem (as many other users have reported).

Then, I tried another solution, connect the device to the iTunes and try to update.

When the process reaches the upgrading firmware, and after half an hour waiting, I got the error 52 (as many other users have reported).

I read that the solution was to update to iOS 8.4.1 first, but now this is not possible because Apple signing is over.

I tried the recovery mode. I tried the DFU mode. No success.

iTunes is updated. Mac OS X is updated. I also tryied with PC with Windows. Various cables.

As you can see, I tried all the solutions I read in the forums with no success.

So, what can I do? Is there any solution for the users with iOS 7?

Please, Apple, help up! We want to use our iPads again!

Joel

Nov 1, 2015 3:13 AM in response to melittle99

melittle99 wrote:

I just attempted to update my iPad 2 to IOS 9. It froze and I turned it off and when I turned it back on all I get is the iteunes logo and a picture of the power cord. I plugged it in for a while, but I am still frozen. Has anyone else had that happen? Is there a way to fix it??

IT happened to me when I tried to update my iPd 3 to iOS 9. The message on the screen means that you have to restore the iPad with iTunes or to try uodate again without restoring, Plug your iPad into your computer and launch iTunes. iTunes should detect the iPad and you will be promoted what to do from there. If that fails, use recovery mode to restore the iOS.

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

I can't update my ipad 2, every time I attempt the new ios 9 update from my ios 7, it says error. I'm not sure I want to update after reading about problems but I can't download some apps because my ios is out of date

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.