Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini startup Questions

I found my old Mac Mini 2009 era in a storage closet but am not even sure how to start it up or connect it to a monitor or my other computers. Is it worth trying to re-use it again for anything (it was barely used in 2009) and what could it now be able to do? Is it worth anything to sell?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion, Macbook Pro, Mac Mini, iPad

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 12:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 1:06 PM

That is a pretty good Mini. It will run the latest operating system, El Capitan but a memory upgrade is very likely needed. The 2009 Minis can use 8 GB of memory (2x4 GB)

Changing the rotating HD to an SSD will also improve its performance.

The Mini has two video output. One a mini DVI port and a mini displayport. The Mini came with a min DVI>DVI adopter.

You can get mini displayport to DVI, VGA and HDMI adopters.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2015 1:06 PM in response to Mark 31

That is a pretty good Mini. It will run the latest operating system, El Capitan but a memory upgrade is very likely needed. The 2009 Minis can use 8 GB of memory (2x4 GB)

Changing the rotating HD to an SSD will also improve its performance.

The Mini has two video output. One a mini DVI port and a mini displayport. The Mini came with a min DVI>DVI adopter.

You can get mini displayport to DVI, VGA and HDMI adopters.

Oct 6, 2015 1:29 PM in response to Mark 31

You do have the power supply brick? That is needed.

The you need a KB and pointing device. One for a PC work fine. To use the special Apple keys see:

Keyboard mappings using a PC keyboard on a Macintosh

You need a monitor and suitable adopter to mate with the monitor.

The On/Power button in on the back on the left side when looking from the front. There is a white Power light on the front,

Here is the manual for the early 2009 Mini. There is only slight differences from the late 2009 Mini.

https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/0/MA909/en_US/Mac_mini_Early2009_UG.pdf

Mac Mini startup Questions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.