Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Weird "messages logging" alert on iPhone

Hi guys,

on last days two times, there is a weird message alert that comes up on non-specific times on my iPhone 6 Plus (iOS 9.0.2) that says "Messages logging" - Please describe the problem briefly and has a text input to send the message. I have attached the screenshot to see this. Can anyone explain what is that message for? Thank you.

User uploaded file

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9.0.2, null

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 1:25 PM

19 replies

Sep 23, 2016 11:56 AM in response to kostaspapa2209

Also having the same concern. Typed a brief message and clicked OK. Then this happened...

User uploaded file

Probkem? Would Apple really misspell "problem" in a legit iOS warning message?

Searched the computer for the filename where the device is backed up. Found text message transcript (.ichat) files for "2016-09-21 at" but no .zip files. iOS devices have no file system so it cannot be searched. Zip (.zip) files cannot be opened on iOS even if found.

Could be third-party spyware logging messages. Could be inadvertent notification from the other device that messages were logged and archived on their end. Hopefully someone in the forum can help answer.

Sep 23, 2016 1:45 PM in response to Askered

iOS log files are not accessible from the device they are generated on. The files are synced with iTunes and can be retrieved on the computer running iTunes. On a Mac that's under $HOME/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/<DEVICENAME>/Messages/. More info about viewing these logs.

I found the logs (.zip files) created by this "Messages Logging" process on my Mac. The contents of one zip file:

User uploaded file

None of the files therein state explicitly what process created the log. So, the mystery continues.

Askered, do you think the “The probkem is, this” part is what you typed into the messages dialog? I've never seen that.

Sep 24, 2016 1:11 PM in response to quinncom

Thanks. Found the .zip file too. Checked hidden files (not shown) and same as yours. Yes, the typo was part of my response to the initial prompt.

User uploaded file

Definitely mysterious and a bit concerning. First "messages logging" prompt is reminiscent of the 1990s Command Prompt/NetSend game IT Admins would send to network clients. Maybe Apple finally caved to Feds and pushed out a back door into iOS? Patriot Act was renewed this year.

Oct 5, 2016 5:50 AM in response to kostaspapa2209

I Phoned Customer support about this and here is what they said:

- Turn imessage and Facetime off and on again.

- And then to go to settings>General>Reset>Reset Network settings.

Not sure if it has worked yet as this issue has only happened twice for me and doesn't happen all the time. Time will tell. I realise this doesn't shed any light onto why this is happening, but may provide a solution. This has happened to me since Updating to IOS 10 also.

Oct 13, 2016 1:37 AM in response to Pineappleface32

This would help with general connectivity issues and is a basic solution for anyone that does an update. I do it when I update or have odd issues with a local WiFi. It would not be related to the error other than a connection issue was encountered when the phone tried to save a log. I am not an Apple developer so take what you want of this comment.

On another issue...

I suspect that Apple has left lots of logging code in the recent IOS release 10.0.2 to help with future updates. This makes sense from a developers point but not a security point. The open ended question is when will it get turned off? By the way I expect lots of silence from Apple on this issue.

Oct 13, 2016 9:50 AM in response to kostaspapa2209

I received a phone call from someone claiming to be from Apple, in response to this thread. He seemed very eager to help me resolve the problem by installing a Configuration Profile. He called twice, and emailed me twice.

I haven't followed his instructions to install the Config Profile yet, because I'm concerned this may be a phishing attack: someone claiming to be from apple asks me to install something on my phone which compromises its security. A config profile can change settings that enable a MITM attack.

Has anyone else been contacted by Apple regarding this? Have you confirmed they indeed work for Apple and the solution is legit?

Apple should initiate contact with customers first by a authenticated mechanism (i.e., not via phone or email) and should advise users not to agree to follow instructions given by people they contact by phone, email or posted on a website.

Phil, if you're reading this, I hope you can appreciate my concern.

Oct 19, 2016 11:19 AM in response to kostaspapa2209

Hi, I have the same problem since updating my iPhone 5S from iOS 9.x to 10.0.1.

I've read on Reddit and elsewhere a few discussions about this matter, I think it's related to VPN.

I'm in contact with an Apple "senior advisor" (after they only made me reset the general and network settings without solving anything), so I sent her the zip file created by the Messages logging alert.
She first denied it was something related to iOS, but as I see reading this thread it is... I will update this discussion as soon as somone in Apple will tell me something useful.

Oct 19, 2016 12:31 PM in response to quinncom

I received several calls from the same support person. He is very nice and persistent, but he did not seem technical, nor did he explain anything in technical terms. The conversation was entirely about how to fix, rather than why it happens and what is causing it. My guess is he genuinely does not know.

I have not yet installed Config Profile either. I requested documented information such as KB, developer, or support articles, where Apple explains the issue and fix before installing anything. The support person was unable to provide any documentation. He explained that installing the Config Profile was the only way to turn off the log. I asked if Apple was planning to resolve in a future update pushed through iTunes. He said he didn't know and didn't believe so.

To recap my history with the log, I only received it twice until Sept 23. 1-2 weeks passed and I never received it once. Then, within hours of speaking with Apple support and not installing the Config Profile as requested, the log notices started again. Currently they show up multiple times a day. This did not happen when I first started seeing them.

Oct 21, 2016 2:06 AM in response to Askered

Has this person given you your case number and have you tried to call Apple support directly and ask to speak to a senior advisor about that case. If you have no case number and are not getting request for feedback e-mails you may not be dealing with an approved Apple advisor.

I read that some one was on the Beta group and installed the regular 10.02 and their phone was still logging diagnostic data. This suggests to me that Apple is doing some behind the scenes testing even for the full release versions. Maybe that will stop in 10.1 but I suspect they will then have a way to hide that they are watching. Not much you can do if you want an Apple.

Oct 21, 2016 10:48 AM in response to macman_again

No. Have not asked for or received a case number. Have not requested to speak with a senior advisor either. Called the following number, which was provided by the support person via email and voice message: (877) 388-0879 Ext. 360xx. Also verified his email is AskXxxx@apple.com.

Want to resolve ASAP and considering installing the config profile, but feel lack of transparency, valid explanation, and supporting documentation from Apple presents risk of installing malicious code or erasing digital evidence of existing code that may be illegally logging and transmitting data. May just take device to someone who can determine what's going on.

Weird "messages logging" alert on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.