Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery standby problems

I got an iPod Touch 6th generation in July and later went into the genius bar because of battery standby and accuracy problems and got it swapped out for a new one free of charge. This new one seems the same. It has the same habit that the other one has which is that the battery drops to half charge when being left alone for a few days. I have all the background app refresh and push notification settings turned off so I don't understand why this happens. I know that the iPod is not capable of showing an accurate battery status because the gas gauge is turned off by Apple (and that's why it doesn't have battery percentage), but this seems to take it a little too far. Is this normal because the iPod's are just very inaccurate? Or did I get unlucky and got another bad one. Please respond because I am deciding whether to return it, go to the genius bar again, or just live with it.

iPod touch, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 1:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 3:12 AM

I haven't left my 6th generation iPod unused for over 24 hours, yet. It was on standby for about 20 hours, after having been fully charged and then used for about an hour listening to music and using Safari. When I went to use it again, it looked like (based on the amount of black versus white on the little battery icon) the battery was at about 75%. I used it for approximately an hour and a half and got the "20% battery" message and the battery icon is showing red! I, too, have push notifications and background app refresh off. I, also, turned wifi off while it was on standby. When using it, I have the screen brightness way down: either all the way or just barely above the lowest setting. My old 2nd generation iPod lasted several weeks on standby--actually still does (and it's over 6 years old!) Based on what I've seen, I don't think this new iPod would get more than a day or two on standby. I mostly love the new iPod, but there are a few issues with it, one of which is the extremely poor battery life. I've seen other comments about poor battery life with the 6th generation iPod touch, so exchanging it may not solve the problem.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2015 3:12 AM in response to wabayou

I haven't left my 6th generation iPod unused for over 24 hours, yet. It was on standby for about 20 hours, after having been fully charged and then used for about an hour listening to music and using Safari. When I went to use it again, it looked like (based on the amount of black versus white on the little battery icon) the battery was at about 75%. I used it for approximately an hour and a half and got the "20% battery" message and the battery icon is showing red! I, too, have push notifications and background app refresh off. I, also, turned wifi off while it was on standby. When using it, I have the screen brightness way down: either all the way or just barely above the lowest setting. My old 2nd generation iPod lasted several weeks on standby--actually still does (and it's over 6 years old!) Based on what I've seen, I don't think this new iPod would get more than a day or two on standby. I mostly love the new iPod, but there are a few issues with it, one of which is the extremely poor battery life. I've seen other comments about poor battery life with the 6th generation iPod touch, so exchanging it may not solve the problem.

Oct 7, 2015 3:57 AM in response to stormlvr

Thank you for the reply. I'm thinking to just take it back in to to Genius Bar because of the battery and a different problem (a faulty home button on my second one) and make sure if they swap it that they test the battery before I'm out of the store. The problem is, when they tested my first one it would not even connect to the iPad that was testing it, which signaled a problem according to the genius. If this happens again, whether its the second or the third one I will wait to see what the Genius's say, and then make my decision. I think the battery might just be bad because of a tiny battery powering an incredibly fast processor (A8).

In that case, I will either return it or live with it. But it is such a functional device otherwise I'll probably just live with it.

Battery standby problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.