Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Capitan and mail

I just installed El Capitan on my MacBook Pro and the Mail app keeps closing out as soon as it is opened. Grrrrr

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 4:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2015 9:59 AM

This is what i did per a user on this forum. Here's his exact statement and it worked for me...I RESTARTED MY MAC AFTER I CLEANED OUT THE LOGS... HOPE THIS HELPS

I find that the new Mail app in El Capitan is trying to clean up the log files by zipping them in memory which caused the problem.

Try to delete your log file manually in the following folder (Command + Shift + G):

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Logs/Mail/

You may see huge size log files in the folder ...just delete all *.log and restart your Mail App. (I HAD TO RESTART MY MAC AFTER I CLEANED OUT THE LOGS)...

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2015 9:59 AM in response to rujobec

This is what i did per a user on this forum. Here's his exact statement and it worked for me...I RESTARTED MY MAC AFTER I CLEANED OUT THE LOGS... HOPE THIS HELPS

I find that the new Mail app in El Capitan is trying to clean up the log files by zipping them in memory which caused the problem.

Try to delete your log file manually in the following folder (Command + Shift + G):

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Logs/Mail/

You may see huge size log files in the folder ...just delete all *.log and restart your Mail App. (I HAD TO RESTART MY MAC AFTER I CLEANED OUT THE LOGS)...

Oct 31, 2015 2:33 PM in response to rujobec

rujobec A couple of things as a fellow non-tech type that allowed the instructions from TangDiva work for me. Maybe they will help.

Make sure you are outside your browser window when you do the Command+Shift+G, I initially clicked when I was still 'inside' my browser and it wouldn't call up the window. A simple thing but it caught me out.

When you DO Command+Shift+G a box will appear and you literally cut and paste the whole of TangDiva's ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Logs/Mail/ then press return and it will take you to the exact library spot you need to be in.

There are a number of things here BUT the only things you need to delete are the *.log files. There will be stuff left over - leave that alone and then restart your Mac.

What I had done was taken all of my accounts offline using System Preferences > Internet Accounts > (your emails) and when I had restarted my Mac I added the email accounts back in - one by one - and they came down fine.

Marjorie

El Capitan and mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.