Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage not working with selective iPhone contacts!

I updated my phone to IOS 9.0.2 the day the update was released and haven't had any problems. All of the sudden, (as of last night) iMessage has stopped working for a few of the people I send messages to. I have turned iMessage on/off, reset my network settings, restarted the phone, and signed in an out of iCloud to reactivate iMessage. I don't know what else to do or what is causing the problem. Why would iMessage stop working with some of my fellow iPhone users but then seem to work fine when I message other iPhone users? Please help!

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 3:53 PM

16 replies

Oct 6, 2015 6:42 PM in response to Stephymags

I just talked with Apple Support

I was telling the techie that my boyfriend was sending iMessages to me but when I replied they sent as texts.

He said he thinks the problem might be on his end.

Go to Settings > Messages > Send and Receive and make sure your phone number and Apple ID E-Mail are checked

I will talk to my boyfriend later and see if this resolves the issue

Oct 6, 2015 8:50 PM in response to Stephymags

Im having this exact issue and it started last night. Some of the people I use imessage with are totally fine and others are just going through as texts. These are people that I iMessage every day and suddenly, beginning last night, most of the messages for a few people will only go through as green texts messages. I did all the things you did to try and fix it and it seemed okay earlier today but the problem is back tonight.

Oct 7, 2015 12:41 PM in response to Stephymags

I thought of something today - and I wanted to see if everyone else here had the problem. I bought my iPhone 6s on the first day it came out - I received it in the mail from AT&T. They did not include instructions - but I never activated the new SIM card with the phone. I just put in my old one. Today I logged into my AT&T account and it said that I cannot make plan changes until I activate my new SIM card. I wondered if this may be causing the problems.

I called AT&T and put in the new SIM card. I'm wondering if this may have been the issue. I work in a high-rise in Chicago with terrible reception so iMessages sometimes do not work because of that - so I cannot tell if mine has been fixed yet. I will determine better when I get home. But I wanted to bring this up as something I noticed. I'll definitely post a follow up to this if it works...

iMessage not working with selective iPhone contacts!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.