Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt Monitor issue since 10.10.5 update

The Thunderbolt monitor is not functioning after updating to 10.10.5

Crashes randomly and the firewire800 port doesn't work at all at this point. There is no temporary fix ... just bypassing the display.

I can no longer simply plug in a sleeping computer still closed and wake it up... freezes at the login page. and then when I unplug from the thunderbolt and open the laptop I am forced to do a hard reboot.

It does work for a while with an already open computer using both screens. I then close the laptop screen and the monitor works for a while... then randomly freezes and the computer must be rebooted.

Am I alone here r are others experiencing this isssue?? Need a software update or possible firmware to remedy this guessing.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 4:07 PM

6 replies

Oct 30, 2015 10:21 AM in response to o1music

I had both logic boards replaced by Apple when I brought units in to be checked. The first tech surmised this was the culprit... Then I got the machine and TD back and the same issue persisted. I took it back and different tech set me up wit an earlier OS version. it worked. We then went up 10.10.2 and then 10.10.5. It all worked. So they gave me the money back for all repairs. That was the right thing to do so I'm glad they did that... I later found out that one of my OWC firewire drives is no longer compatible with the current OS config. At least as far as I can see it no longer works! This messed up the monitor and computer I think. I still can use the drive with USB but NOT FW800. Thus far everything is back up and running perfectly. So perhaps check your peripherals...

Thunderbolt Monitor issue since 10.10.5 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.