Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing the IMEI of iPhone

My Apple products are recycled down to sister, niece and nephew, family back home. Bear in mind that this is in a foreign country, third world.

I sent my sister an unlocked iPhone that I had bought new, unlocked and used in the states with AT&T and tmobile. She had been using it fine for over a year when
I sent her another new, "old one". She handed down her good, working phone to my nephew. He took the iPhone to a local store to get the sim card cut to size. There they told him to come back the next day to pick the phone up.

When he received the iPhone back it didn't work anymore. The iPhone was locked.

My question is can they just take the whole inside of a locked or blacklisted iPhone and replace it with the original shell of an unlocked one? That would be the only answer to me because they had to have changed the IMEI from a good unlocked one to a non working IMEI.

I can see why they would do this. They probably buy very cheap unlocked or blacklisted iPhones and switch the innards from good ones and customers that don't know better are told, like my nephew, that it locked itself when he reset it the iPhone.

And no, my sister doesn't have the original box nor a copy of the original IMEI as proof, and neither do I. I do began to take a picture of the about page of all iPhones i sent them now.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 5:20 PM

8 replies

Oct 6, 2015 6:16 PM in response to Alaska99801

There is no way to change the IMEI of an iPhone, except by changing the logic board. Can you check the IMEI of the phone, and compare it to what it originally was?

How was the iPhone originally unlocked? If it was unlocked by the original carrier that it was locked to then it should never relock. However, if it was hacked to unlock it then restoring iOS will cause it to become locked again.

This is very suspicious, however, because there is no need to leave a phone for even 5 minutes to cut down a SIM. It takes about 10 seconds with a SIM cutting machine. I'll bet the shop is offering to unlock it for a fee. Don't let them. Unfortunately, there's probably nothing you can do if the shop is dishonest; in many countries it's the norm.

Oct 6, 2015 6:15 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

No. Remember that I said that I bought the phone unlocked from Apple. The phone world with ne for a year in the states, then for a year with my sister. Only after she gave it to her son and he took it to the store it cam back locked.

Yes that is what I am thinking. That they changed the logic board. It mis the only way. i didn't keep track of IMEI back when the iPhone 5 came out but now I do. So it doesn't happen again.

In third world countries every little bit counts. So i can see they going through the trouble of replacing a logic board and now having an iPhone they can sell for top price.

Changing the IMEI of iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.