Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac stuck at gray startup screen

As of a couple of days ago my mid-2011 MBP has failed to reboot. (I was finally able to get the Mac to boot last night, 1 time, and verified that I had a Time Machine backup of less than a day prior, so I'm not concerned about losing data.)

Here's the failure. First, note that when this problem starting happening I was still using Yosemite, so this doesn't seem to have anything to do with the El Capitan. Initially, the MBP was stuck in an infinite reboot cycle. The gray screen with the Apple logo would appear and the progress bar would make it about 1/3 of the way across before it rebooted itself. I kept hard powering down and restarting without much luck. I then tried to get to the Recovery Console (Command-R) at startup so I could run the Disk Utility and was not able to get that to work either. The only way I was able to get to it, but not consistently, was to hit the Option key at startup, then select the Recovery partition.

With the Recovery Console up I ran a test, using Disk Utility, on the main HDD since all posts I've seen have said infinite reboot loop means the HDD is toast. But the check came back fine. That is when I tried to restart and it worked. I verified I had a TM backup as I said, then proceeded to try and download El Capitan thinking maybe I could get lucky with the new OS. The download was successful, but when it tried rebooting my MBP, you guessed it, infinite reboot loop.

I borrowed a working SSD from a friend to see if the HDD was in fact the problem. I started up the MBP and hit the Option key. My only option was the Yosemite Install I have on a USB key. I selected it, got the Apple icon with the progress bar again, but after making it just shy of half way I get a blank gray screen. It will just sit at the gray screen forever.

This seems to imply that there is something other than the HDD/SSD that is the problem here. It seems to point to some other hardware issue or the boot rom is messed up in some way, But I have no clue where to begin looking.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo/4GB/750GB/SuperDrive

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 6:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 5:11 PM

a gray screen without an Apple indicates one of two things:

Your Mac has not yet found a Boot device from which it could load Boot.efi, then begin to load the kernel, then load Mac OS X.

You display is not working properly

--------

The results of Option booting show what potentially-bootable devices might be there (provided you wait for it to do a full scan). Anything that is clearly not bootable is not shown.

This article has a few more insights into the process:

About the screens you see when your Mac starts up - Apple Support

it does sound like it could be a drive problem, but if it could not run from that SSD, maybe it is something worse like a memory problem.

The 2011 models should have come with Apple Hardware test on the second DVD, if you still have those. Otherwise, an appointment at the genius Bar for an evaluation is in order (it's free -- in warranty or out).

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2015 5:11 PM in response to milnuts

a gray screen without an Apple indicates one of two things:

Your Mac has not yet found a Boot device from which it could load Boot.efi, then begin to load the kernel, then load Mac OS X.

You display is not working properly

--------

The results of Option booting show what potentially-bootable devices might be there (provided you wait for it to do a full scan). Anything that is clearly not bootable is not shown.

This article has a few more insights into the process:

About the screens you see when your Mac starts up - Apple Support

it does sound like it could be a drive problem, but if it could not run from that SSD, maybe it is something worse like a memory problem.

The 2011 models should have come with Apple Hardware test on the second DVD, if you still have those. Otherwise, an appointment at the genius Bar for an evaluation is in order (it's free -- in warranty or out).

Oct 7, 2015 5:17 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I'm fairly convinced this is a display problem. Last night I was able to get the MBP to boot again after running Disk Utility and finding nothing wrong with the HDD. When it did boot, I'd log in and within 60 seconds the screen would go crazy with digital static, almost like it was degaussing or something, then it would go completely black. Within a few seconds after that the MBP would reboot itself. I could repeat that process 4-5 times before I just powered it down and gave up.

But now again tonight I cannot boot past the gray screen. Sounds like I need a date with the genius bar.

Oct 8, 2015 6:48 AM in response to milnuts

is this the 15" model from 2011?

are these some of your symptoms?

An affected MacBook Pro may display one or more of the following symptoms:

• Distorted or scrambled video on the computer screen
  • No video on the computer screen (or external display) even though the computer is on
  • Computer restarts unexpectedly

if so, you MAY qualify for a repair extension program. There is a 12-minute Video Switching Test they will run at the Genius Bar. If it fails, they will pay for it to be sent out for repair. If it passes, it is not having the exact problem covered by the program and is not covered.

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

I just had one of mine tested, and it passed, so it does NOT have the covered problem. The genius said that the ones he usually sees that fail the test are much sicker than mine appeared to be. Be early for your appointment because the test really does take 12 minutes to run.

mac stuck at gray startup screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.