Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro 3.1 AMD Radeon HD 7950 El Capitan Install

System works flawlessly and currently running Yosemite 10.10.5 tried to upgrade to El Capitan and was unable to get any video from my monitors using the upgraded video card. Anyone else find working drivers or know a solution?

System Specs

Mac Pro 3.1

2x 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

32gb Ram DDR2 FB-DIMM

250Gb SSD Samsung EVO

Pricorn Velocity Solo Extreme 2.0 x2 Performance SSD Slot

AMD Radeon HD 7950 X16 3072 MB

Running x3 DELL U2414H Monitors

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 6:25 PM

11 replies

Oct 7, 2015 2:39 AM in response to Shane943

I have a Mac Pro 5,1 with an AMD Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 card i.e. the one that shipped as standard with Mac firmware. The drivers for this card are built-in to OS X. I only have one monitor connected but it works fine in Yosemite, El Capitan, Windows 10, and anything else I throw at it.

If you have a PC version of this card - even a re-branded third party version then it is possible to 'flash' them with Mac firmware. Generally you need to do this in Windows, I used Boot Camp to flash another different card a HD 7970.

Oct 7, 2015 3:09 PM in response to Shane943

I have this card, in a mac pro from 2010 and it's fine, so--maybe try changing the switch on the card from one position to the other one. yes, there's a switch on there-one position is for PC and one for Mac. In the manual, sometimes, the direction on which way to go is reversed. other than that, maybe try zapping the pram?? I have to side with what IIIaass said....maybe it's the install???

JB

Mar 15, 2016 3:07 AM in response to micdim

micdim wrote:

Anybody experiencing sleep issues with their AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB and El Capitan? I found the following information on the web.

Note: That graphic comes from the tonymacx86 website not an official AMD website. The information on the tonymacx86 website is aimed at people building what are colloquially referred to as 'hackintoshes' which are not real Macs. Therefore the information in many but not all cases does not apply to real Macs.

For real Macs running OS X only Apple provide official drivers for AMD video cards. Sadly Apple have a long reputation of producing only mediocre drivers at least in terms of performance and features, generally they work well enough. While Apple still do provide drivers in El Capitan for cards like the Radeon HD 7950 and HD 7970 Apple never officially sold these cards. I have not personally had any problems with my Radeon HD 7950 which is a proper Mac edition with original Mac firmware as supplied by Sapphire. However most of the time I am still running Yosemite.

The Apple drivers for AMD cards are built-in to OS X so the only way to get newer ones with any hoped for fixes is to upgrade your version of OS X.

Aug 18, 2016 1:22 PM in response to Shane943

I'm using the HD7950 Mac (genuine version) in a MacPro 4.1 with a LaCie 526 monitor. The combination worked perfectly with OS 10.8 and 10.6. But 10.11 limits my maximum resolution to 1900x1280, when there used to be at least two higher options in the Displays preference pane. Radeon tech support says the drivers are built into the OS and not available separately. La Cie (now Seagate) can't help either.

Any suggestions?

Aug 19, 2016 5:36 AM in response to lllaass

Thanks, Johnb-one and Illaass, but I already tried the option key and it reveals only lower-resolution choices (down to 600x800). I upgraded to El Capitan by installing an additional drive for it, so I can now boot to either my 10.8 drive or my new 10.11 drive. Here's what the Displays preference panes show in both OS's...

OS10.8.5:

User uploaded file

OS 10.11.6:

User uploaded file

Mysterious, right?

Mac Pro 3.1 AMD Radeon HD 7950 El Capitan Install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.