Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Acer CB280HK connecting to Macbook pro Retina

Hi Guys,

I have a MacBook Pro Retina 2.6ghz intel core 5 with 16Gb ram. I have today brought an Acer 4k monitor (model number CB280HK). I have connected it via HDMI but the picture isn't as true as the actual display on the macbook pro. The picture on the screen is good but a lot brighter, even if I turn the brightness down and the contrast up it doesn't seem to match the Mac's display!

I thought that buying a monitor that has a higher pixel ratio / definition than the actual macbook would mean it could match exactly the same picture? Also the mouse cursor on the monitor has a slight drag and on the macbook pro its perfect and smooth!

Would I get a truer picture on the monitor and no mouse drag if i connected it with a thunderbolt cable?

Please someone help.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 6:31 PM

3 replies

Oct 7, 2015 12:54 AM in response to Lpenn

First of all the HDMI port of a macbook supports a 4K frame rate of 30 Frames Per Second (FPS) while the screen of the macbook has 60 FPS so it will look more smoothly on your mac screen. Then your acer monitor has an TN pannel that is a different type of pannel with some flatter colours than the macbook screen that is IPS so it's different no matter how you connect it. A thunderbolt cable would get the FPS on your external monitor up to 60 FPS but the difference in colours won't change. http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs-retina/

Oct 7, 2015 1:33 AM in response to Lpenn

Your Mac does not support 4K. See:

Use 4K displays and Ultra HD TVs with your Mac - Apple Support

Thus it down scales and displays less than 4K. Thgat typically reduces sharpness.

Also, typically HDMI on older Macs is limited to 1090p so using a mini displayport cable (mini displayport on both ends if the monitor has a mini displayport input, or a displayport on one end if the monitor has a displayport input.usually provides more pixels.

You do not want a Thunderbolt cable.

This is the Mac Pro desktop forum. I requested your post be moved to the MacBook Pro laptop forum.

Acer CB280HK connecting to Macbook pro Retina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.