Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why won't the icloud backup run after updating to ios 9.0.2?

The iCloud backup will not run after I updated my iphone6 to ios 9.0.2. What's wrong?

iPhone 6, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 7:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2015 7:53 PM

I found out what my problem was by calling iPhone Technical Support phone number 800-634-7466 and they told me that I should try deleting my previous backup and then running the backup again. This worked on my phone. I went to Settings... iCloud... Storage... Manage Storage... selected my phone... scrolled to the bottom of the screen selected Delete Backup...then selected Turn Off & Delete. This deleted my old backup. After it was finished I turned the iCloud backup back on and ran the backup and it worked just fine. Apparently there is something that was changed in IOS 9 that messed up the ability to backup your phone if you had an older version backup. By deleting that backup it wiped the slate clean and I was able to run the backup with no problem.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2015 7:53 PM in response to russ1938

I found out what my problem was by calling iPhone Technical Support phone number 800-634-7466 and they told me that I should try deleting my previous backup and then running the backup again. This worked on my phone. I went to Settings... iCloud... Storage... Manage Storage... selected my phone... scrolled to the bottom of the screen selected Delete Backup...then selected Turn Off & Delete. This deleted my old backup. After it was finished I turned the iCloud backup back on and ran the backup and it worked just fine. Apparently there is something that was changed in IOS 9 that messed up the ability to backup your phone if you had an older version backup. By deleting that backup it wiped the slate clean and I was able to run the backup with no problem.

Oct 18, 2015 5:25 PM in response to MareMagi

This was a good solution to the backup problem except for one thing, it happened again today where the backup could not be completed. I had to delete the backup off of iCloud and then run the backup again and it worked. I think there is a problem in IOS 9.0.2 when it comes to running the iCloud backup that they need to address.

Oct 20, 2015 8:19 PM in response to MareMagi

Yes my grey bar is back as well. I just spent almost three hours on the phone with support fixing my problem with the "backup not complete" message I was getting. They tried several things to get the backup to work with no success. Finally they had me restore my iphone to factory settings and then restore the backup that was on iCloud. This seems to have worked. Time will tell if I will be able to run iCloud backups in the future. The support tech thought there might have been a glitch in my IOS that was on the phone and by restoring the phone back to factory settings and getting the latest release of the IOS reloaded on the phone it might clear up the problem. The restore took quite a while but when it was all done I had everything back on the phone that was there before. The only thing I had to reload were my movies and that was easy to do from iTunes.

why won't the icloud backup run after updating to ios 9.0.2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.