Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need to restore new hard drive from backup

I have an early 2011 Macbook Pro currently running Yosemite. I need to replace my hard drive and have a current backup on Time Machine. I have done this once but can't remember how I did it. I've read a few posts about it but they are using terms I'm not sure about; start-up disk vs hard drive, I don't know what the difference is. What is the easiest way to do this? Please assume I am not an IT person and please don't use abbreviations, thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 5:55 PM

3 replies

Oct 7, 2015 8:23 AM in response to specalkaye

This should have instructions on how to replace the hard drive.

Other World Computing

Go to the App Store Purchases tab and download Yosemite. Quit the installer and use the program below to make a bootable USB Flash drive. Replace the computer's hard drive. Boot off the Flash drive and run Disk Utility Verify/Repair Disk and Repair Permissions until you get no errors. Reformat the drive using Disk Utility/Erase Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then click the Option button and select GUID. Then re-install the OS. When you reboot, use Setup Assistant to restore your data from Time Machine.

Bootable USB Flash Drive – Diskmaker X

Need to restore new hard drive from backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.