Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm changing from iweb to everweb.

When I publish to my existing ftp address, what will happen to the old iweb content. Will there be 2 websites out there, or just the newer everweb version which is preferable. How to i un-publish the iweb site.

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 8:01 PM

8 replies

Oct 9, 2015 4:28 AM in response to tony100

When you publish your EverWeb site to same FTP address and web server, your iWeb content will be overwritten and you should be just left with your EverWeb site. As long as you don't publish from iWeb again, you should be all set.

The following text is from the EverWeb Manual:

FTP Publishing

EverWeb lets you publish your site to any web hosting provide with the FTP Publishing option. Your FTP publishing settings can only be obtained from your web hosting provider.

Please pay special attention to the username and password field. Often times you will have an Account login and an FTP login. Your Account login will let you login to your web hosting provider’s website to access billing and account details. In contrast, your FTP login details are what is needed in EverWeb’s publishing settings screen.

Often times users confuse these two logins which results in authentication errors when trying to publish.

The other field to pay close attention to is your Directory/Path field. This will be the directory path to the location that stores your web page files. It can differ between web hosting providers and only your actual web host provider will know the correct path to enter here. If you aren’t sure what to put in this field, make sure to double check with your web hosting provider. A wrong file path can cause your website to be published to the wrong location and no accessible via your web browser.

Oct 9, 2015 6:33 AM in response to tony100

First I would get some technical support at EverWeb.

One thing that iWeb does with publishing is it places an Index.html file outside of the main directory. It could be that the Index.html is the problem. I would go to your directory where the files are published and see what's being published and where it's being published. I'd also look to see if iWeb's Index.html file still exists after you publish your EverWeb file.

Also, are you using the same URL for EverWeb as with iWeb. How are both sites up at the same time.

Oct 10, 2015 1:24 AM in response to tony100

Yes, there will be a difference in the url with iWeb and EverWeb because when you publish with iWeb you will get the url with the sitename in it too and EverWeb will not do that as far as I am aware.

If you really want to delete your iWeb files from your server and start again, then download Cyberduck for free and then log into your server directly and find where the old iWeb files are and just delete them from your web host and then publish your EverWeb files and there should be no further problem.

Oct 10, 2015 4:42 AM in response to tony100

Based on what Ethmoid said, if you care about your iWeb page rank in the search engines be sure to do this first before deleting files.

EVerWeb has a nice 301 redirect feature in the Page Inspector. Put your iWeb URL in page inspector/redirect and EverWeb will create a custom 301 redirect and your page ranking will be preserved.

I'm changing from iweb to everweb.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.