Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please URGENT HELP NEEDED.

I have a 2TB external Hard drive where I back up my finished project at the end of every month.

I moved September jobs on to the HDD but could't find it on the HDD after the move had been completed.

I ran disk utility and repaired the disk, and all of my other folders from January 2015 are all gone.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Please help. Some files now appear as zero bytes.

I need to get the folders back. ALL OF IT.

System Specs is.

iMac

OS X Yosemite

Version:10.10.5

Serial Number: C0*****DHJF

Graphics: AMD Raedon HD 6750M 512 MB

Memory: 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Processor 2.5GHz Intel Core i5

Thanks a lot for the help.

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 7:15 PM

9 replies

Oct 6, 2015 9:41 PM in response to Identidem

Drives fail, data gets corrupt and mistakes happen. The best way to prevent data loss is to keep multiple copies on several different drives. It really doesn't matter if one drive is internal and the other drives is external or if all of the drives are external.

At this point your best option might be to copy all the good data over to another drive and then give an arm and leg to a professional recovery service.

Oct 7, 2015 6:30 AM in response to rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87 wrote:

Why not restore from Time Machine, if the files are so important to you there must be a backup?

If the OP has time machine - it may not have the files he lost if the OP is deleting these files from the main drive - they could be cleaned off of time machine at some time.

Personally - when I move a file and can't find it - it usually is dropped into the wrong folder.

As the OP really needs the information - should stop messing with the drive and take it to a professional recovery service.

Oct 7, 2015 9:29 PM in response to Identidem

A hard lesson to learn but "moving" files from one drive to another is not a backup. You need to maintain important files in multiple locations. For example OS drive and a local external drive. Even better, use an external drive and a cloud storage service for offsite duplication of data. Where photography is involved you might consider a RAID solution for external backup storage which improves fault tolerance.

Oct 8, 2015 7:02 AM in response to Identidem

Someone else posted the same problem awhile back - you may fine it by searching this site - use the search to the right of people --

The magnifying glass searches both apple support.

Meanwhile leave the drive disconnected and powered off -- find a recovery business -- when you do not use a secure delete - only the index of where the file is located is deleted - so you may have only lost the index at this point -- and recovery of most or all of your data is possible.

Think of the old windows software compressing the drive came up with lost clusters that you could recover.

Please URGENT HELP NEEDED.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.