Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notes disappeared when I updated

Why did all of my notes in the notes app disappear when I updated to ios9

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 7:29 PM

7 replies

Oct 6, 2015 8:40 PM in response to Camilynn

Actually, Camilynn, it is you who have not provided enough information.

• You say you have an Apple computer. Is it running El Capitan?
  • Have you attempted to upgrade Notes on your iOS device(s)?
  • Have you attempted to upgrade Notes on El Capitan?
  • Are you storing your notes in iCloud (so they could be accessed by all your Apple devices)?
  • If your Notes are in iCloud, is iCloud turned "On" on all devices using those Notes (with the same Apple ID and password)?

If you have iOS 9 on all your iOS devices, and El Capitan on your Mac(s), and use iCloud Notes and have not done the upgrade, then simply click a left facing arrow in the corner of an iOS device until you see the option to upgrade. Accept that option.

All this information could be extracted from the article I attached above.

Oct 8, 2015 1:00 PM in response to sberman

My wife just had the same thing happen after updating to IOS 9. The new version of Notes opens fine, but all her previous notes were gone. I checked her iCloud account online, and it showed no files in Notes, and no files in the Restore section.

A call to Apple support provided a pleasant conversation with a very sympathetic and polite young lady, but no resolution of the problem.

I just found the solution. If you go into your mail account under Settings, and select your mail account, you'll find a list of apps that should be checked. Notes was not checked. I don't really know if it was or was not selected before the update, but it was not selected when I looked. I activated Notes under the mail account (the green slider should show) and all her old notes are now showing in the new version of Notes.

I hope this works for you, since it's a very simple fix.

Notes disappeared when I updated

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.