Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to use a Thunderbolt display with an older MacPro whose Cinema Display crumped?

I have an early 3-GHz quad-core MacPro from late 2006 that I had put a Radeon 5770 video card into in order to use a 27" Cinema Display, which has now failed. This display is no longer in production or available new. Is there a compatible video card that will provide a Thunderbolt port so I can use a new Thunderbolt display? If not, is there an adapter for the ATI card's Mini Display Port to Thunderbolt? Or do I have to go to eBay to find a Cinema Display in order to resume using this great computer?

Thanks,

Howard

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 9:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 1:09 AM

No. A Thunderbolt monitor requires a computer with a Thunderbolt port and there is no way of backfitting Thunderbolt to a computer that does not have Thunderbolt.

5 replies

Is there a way to use a Thunderbolt display with an older MacPro whose Cinema Display crumped?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.