Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I check for viruses?

I'm getting virus message and a "click here" button to check for viruses. Looks like an Apple iOS app but probably isn't. How do I check for viruses?

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 10:13 PM

4 replies

Oct 7, 2015 6:27 AM in response to Aries27

Apple will never attempt to contact you through your Apple Safari browser, nor does the browser perform any system integrity/anti-virus checks. Any pop-ups are advertising and scams. Remember that, and be safe.

Force quit (option+command+Esc) Safari as typically, these pop-up scams keep focus on their dialog, and the Safari Quit menu item is unavailable. Then press and hold the shift key when restarting Safari. On the Safari menu, clear/reset all history.

The only warning that Apple's Safari will give you is when your Flash plug-in is out of date. Since there is also a scam out there that attempts to do this too, I would ignore these, and check the update button in the System Preferences : Flash Player. No guess work or trouble doing that.

You do not need anti-virus, or so-called cleaning applications as these are unnecessary on OS X, and actually will interfere with normal operation of the operating system. Depending on where you surf, and what you click, you may get adware installed on your system without your knowledge. Here is a security overview for OS X.

Oct 7, 2015 6:33 AM in response to Aries27

Hi. Mac do not get viruses. There is no need to install antivirus software.

Usually antivirus apps do nothing for your Mac because there are no viruses that can infect Mac OS system.

You may find useful info and opinions in this thread:

i am new to Mac do i need antivirus software

Useful site that contains info about Mac threats: http://www.thesafemac.com/

how do I check for viruses?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.