Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

17" Macbook Pro Boot Problems

G'day everyone,

Litte bit of a tricky problem here.

A friend of mine has asked me to have a look at his 2008 17" Macbook Pro because he can't get it to boot.

So this is what I have found; when I remove the battery and plug in the AC power (I only have a 60 Watt Charger to work with) and press the power button, I can hear the fans start up and can also hear the disk drive make a sound but other than that nothing (although I should also mention that the charging light on the MagSafe connector does light up green). There is no start up chime, no LED sleep indicator and none of the lights on the keyboard light up when I press (for example) the Caps lock key.

My friends machine is an Early/Late 2008 17" Macbook Pro (A1261) with a 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR2 Ram, 250GB HDD and an nVidia GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB VRAM.

I am aware that these MacBooks have had issues with their GPUs failing and not being able to display anything, however I believe that this situation is a bit different seeing that there isn't even a start up chime or sleep indicator.

I have tried an SMC reset (which did nothing) and also a PRAM reset but that obviously didn't work because the keyboard doesn't appear to be working.

Is all this a sign that the Logicboard is completely fried?

Thanks in Advance 🙂

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 8:57 PM

There are no replies.

17" Macbook Pro Boot Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.