Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 9.0/El Capitan freeze/slowdown during page loading

I've installed safari 9.0 and El Capitan on a 2012 Macbook pro. When I type an address into the URL field, Safari starts to load the page, then stops (with progress bar about 10% across the URL field) for about 30 seconds before the page loads. I've deleted all Web data from the Safari privacy preference menu. Any idea about what is happening and how to fix it?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11), Web pages freezes while loading.

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 8:06 PM

3 replies

Oct 6, 2015 8:12 PM in response to terry21

The problems might be due to Safari extensions and third party plug-ins.

From the Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Extensions tab. Uninstall one extension at a time then quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If it's not an extensions issue, try troubleshooting third party plug-ins.

Back to Safari > Preferences. This time select the Security tab. Deselect: Allow Plug-ins.. Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that made a difference, instructions for troubleshooting plugins here

The prompt to for Java may not be for Safari but perhaps another app you have installed that requires it.

Safari 9.0/El Capitan freeze/slowdown during page loading

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.