Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages sending as text instead of iMessage.

Updated my phone to the new iOS 9.0.2 a few days ago.

Starting today, some of my messages would send as text (green) instead of iMessage (blue), however, when I ask the people I'm texting if they receive my message as text or iMessage, they say iMessage when it shows "Sent as text" on my side. Some messages even send (blue) and do not show "delivered", however, the other person has received my message and was able to reply... later coming back to that message and seeing it was "Sent as text"

-Yes, I am texting people with iPhones that have iMessage activated

-Yes, I have deactivated and reactivated my phone

-Yes, I have turned off my phone then back on

-Occurs on wifi and on data

-Bluetooth is off

-Airplane mode is off

-Cellular Data is on

-I have an iPhone 6, 128GB

-Carrier: Sprint

This seems to be a bug.

iPhone 6, iOS 9.0.2, Sprint 128 GB

Posted on Oct 6, 2015 8:58 PM

13 replies

Oct 7, 2015 10:14 AM in response to itsbur3nda

Exact same issue on iPhone 6. Just updated to 9.0.2 and now most of my iMessages to other iPhone/iMessage users go through as text, even when connected to wifi. I tried all of the data and iMessage solutions found here http://www.gottabemobile.com/2015/09/17/ios-9-problems-fixes/ and nothing works.

And, unfortunately, I had not backed up my iPhone when using 9.0.1 so I can't restore to backup and "downgrade" back to 9.0.1 iOS 😟

For those that were smart enough to backup their iPhones with the previous iOS, try restoring to that backup and see if it helps.

Oct 7, 2015 10:20 AM in response to itsbur3nda

Glad I'm not the only one! My situation is exactly the same as the original poster, except I have an iPhone 5S, on AT&T, and I feel like it initially started slightly BEFORE the 9.0.2 update. I remember it happening sporadically and then my phone told me I had the update waiting, so I thought perhaps it was there to fix a bug that was introduced in 9.0.1. But it is definitely still happening, even after powering the phone on/off, cycling the data and wifi on/off, turning iMessage on and off, and so on. Everything short of a full reset of the phone, which I would like to put off if possible. Thank you for letting us know someone is working on it!

Oct 7, 2015 10:33 AM in response to itsbur3nda

I'm glad to know that I am not the only one having this problem since the update of 9.0.2. I have a iPhone 5s and since yesterday at about noon it has been acting funny with only a couple of my iPhone contacts. I send them a imessage and its blue and doesn't say delivered or anything but they are responding and receiving them as imessage and then my phone is going and sending them as a text message after. I really hope that apple fixes this problem really soon. If anyone comes up with some type of fix to get this to work it would be appreciated. I mean I have pretty much tried everything. I have done the turn on and off of the imessage, the reboot, and even called apple and they had me reset all my settings and it still isn't perfect.

Messages sending as text instead of iMessage.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.