Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage not telling me message is delivered

I have an iPhone 5S with IOS 9.0.2

It is only happening with a couple different people on my contacts but I text them using iMessage and it never tells me it was delivered so I end up telling it to send as a regular text which I don't want to do.

Now I tested it I called someone so they could watch their messages as I tried texting them. I would text them using iMessage I would get no notification of it being delivered but they would tell me that they recieved the text. It would also tell me that they read it when the text was opened but at no time did it ever read delivered.

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 12:25 AM

11 replies

Oct 7, 2015 2:36 AM in response to Jrscout300

Same issue here, and we are not the only ones, see here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ios9/comments/3nr696/bug_imessage_not_saying_delivered_ and_sending_as/

It happens only with certain people and even not all the time, sometimes I get the received message properly.

If you have choosen in the settings to switch to SMS instead (if imessage does not work) the messages will turn green although the receiver has got them already as imessage.

This seems because of the fact, the "received" status does not pop up, although the imessage was received properly.

It took me two hours this morning to figure out what's happening with the messages going out to my wife and while most of them turn green although she received them properly 😟

I disabled the "SMS instead of imessage" function now. Now they at least do not turn green and stay blue, but I still get no "received" status on most of them.

I don't know, if that has todo with it, but my wife is still on IOS 8......I tried it with collegues and my daughter, who are running IOS 9 and it was working there....but this might not mean anything, because my daughter can send imessages from her IOS 9 iphone to my wifes IOS 8 phone without any problems...

It must be defintely something on the apple side 😟

I tried to contact Apple Support, but I'm out of my Support plan...there already a couple of the same claims in the forum, it seems that everybody starts his own thread instead of searching first through the existing claims....this would be much more efficient and put more pressure to apple support!

Oct 7, 2015 3:12 AM in response to bwinter

...and even the worst thing is, what I just checked now. The messages, which turn green then will be handled by the provider as sms, so you actually have to pay for them, although the recipient received already the imessage and the sms would not be needed.

So if you haven't got free sms in your contact, you are screwed 😟

Oct 7, 2015 4:10 AM in response to ryanjouhari

What is the color of the text balloon after the message is sent? If it is blue then the message was sent as an iMessage, if it is green then the message was sent as a regular MMS or TXT message and there will not be either a "Delivered" or "Read" response. Non iPhones don't respond to iMessages with receive or read receipts, the message may still be received but only as a regular MMS or TXT and there will not be a response to the sender other than the message on the sender's phone being in a green balloon. Assuming that both of those recipients have iPhones, it is possible that their phones are not set to allow for the use of iMessagees or read notifications. Have them go to Settings/Messages, on that screen there at 4 items at the top, three of them have toggles and those three toggles should all be turned on in order to use iMessage and send a read receipt. There are some people that purposely turn off the "Send Read Receipts" notification toggle to avoid having the sender expect an intimidate response because they have been made aware that the message has been displayed on the recipients message screen causing the sender to assume that it has been read and that is not always the case.

Oct 7, 2015 4:21 AM in response to D J Pepe

sorry pepe, but that is simply technically not true

the iphone tries to send an imessage, but if the message cannot be delivered, it will be changed to sms, if you enabled that feature.

you can see that when you send the message out, it is blue, and after a minute or so, it turns to green.

and normally, everytime you send an imessage, you get a small text below, stating delivered, as a confirmation that the message went through. this has nothin todo with the confirmation, that the recipient has read it, which you can enable or disable.

so in fact, what happens is, the message goes out as imessage and is actually delivered, but the confirmation is not coming back so your iphone thinks, it was not delivered and tries again as sms after some waiting time...

Oct 7, 2015 5:10 AM in response to Jrscout300

...just to let you know, it was working again now for the last couple of messages, I received the usual deliverd message below the sent out imessages, which did not happen during nearly the whole day.

I think, that most people will not even notice this issue, because you need the have the feature, to switch to SMS if imessage cannot be delivered, enabled. When you leave that disabled, all your imessages stay blue, but you simply get no delivered status, which makes no difference, as the imessage did go out anyway and the phone does not revert to SMS automatically so it makes no difference for the user.

You only notice that whole issue, when your sent imessages turn from blue to green........

iMessage not telling me message is delivered

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.