Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imagent process network consumption

Hi

Since the upgrade to "El Capitan", the process imagent use a network bandwidth continually, between 50 and 150kB/s in and out.

Strange, I didn't notice this before.

When I disconnect "Messages" application from my company jabber server, the used bandwidth disappears.

Did someone see the same behavior ?

thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 1:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2015 12:13 AM

Hi,

IMAgent starts up when the computer does.

It provides the "Listening" function of Messages for off Line IMs in AIM and Jabber accounts

It also responds to iMessages that are sent.

Therefore it is always connected to the 'net unlike mail that only connects when it fetches or a browser that only does so when you change pages.

If the iMessages account is not used and the setting in Preferences > General Section is set to "When I Quit, set my Status to Off Line" then the usage will drop.

NOTE

Status only applies to Buddy List accounts (AIM, Jabber including Google and Facebook Chat IDs and Yahoo plus Bonjour)

The iMessages account has not status.

Ergo the setting does not stop iMessages showing up on the DOCK icon if the app is Quit.

User uploaded file

9:59 p.m. Wednesday; October 7, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2015 12:13 AM in response to jrubiks

Hi,

IMAgent starts up when the computer does.

It provides the "Listening" function of Messages for off Line IMs in AIM and Jabber accounts

It also responds to iMessages that are sent.

Therefore it is always connected to the 'net unlike mail that only connects when it fetches or a browser that only does so when you change pages.

If the iMessages account is not used and the setting in Preferences > General Section is set to "When I Quit, set my Status to Off Line" then the usage will drop.

NOTE

Status only applies to Buddy List accounts (AIM, Jabber including Google and Facebook Chat IDs and Yahoo plus Bonjour)

The iMessages account has not status.

Ergo the setting does not stop iMessages showing up on the DOCK icon if the app is Quit.

User uploaded file

9:59 p.m. Wednesday; October 7, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Oct 9, 2015 12:18 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Hi,

Thanks for the explanation, but it doesn't explain to me why the network bandwidth consumption is so high.

The behavior i've described is strange because no one around me have the same problem, and the consumption disappears during the day.

A the time i write this message, there is no anormal consumption.

I suspect a network negotiation problem between Messages and our private Jabber server.

If i find anything, i will post the solution or the no-solution.

Oct 12, 2015 12:12 AM in response to jrubiks

I was implying and should have said more directly that the listening feature which is continuous whilst the app is Open as well, might be the cause depending how busy a server is at anyone time.

User uploaded file

7:19 p.m. Saturday; October 10, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Oct 12, 2015 11:55 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Hi,

User uploaded file for the User uploaded file Points

Has the issue died down or are you still having the issue ?

IMAgent works for all the Buddy List accounts in Messages (AIM, Jabber, Bonjour and Yahoo)

It also helps with FaceTime but I have not dug about with that to find out what exactly.

In Messages disable all accounts except the iMessages one.

Restart the app and add one account back to being Active and see if it makes any difference.

Add the other one by one until you see the spike again.

Any issues keeping a Yahoo account logged in or the Google may explain the issue.

User uploaded file

7:55 p.m. Monday; October 12, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Oct 14, 2015 12:04 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Yesterday, i found the origin of the problem, we noticed on the jabber server that i was not the only person to have a too high network bandwith.

So with my colleague, we tried a bunch of things and badam ! When he has removed my card from his buddy list, the network bandwidth was emptied.

Apparently, his jabber client has a bug (he use a linux notebook).

imagent process network consumption

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.