Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Distortion in GarageBand for iPad

Recently updated to iOS 9 (and the subsequent smaller updates 1/2) and eve since then while working in GarageBand and Amplitube, from time to time I will get disrupted by very loud distortion coming through the project (static-like) on any track. I have to restart the apps to see if it will act normally after. I have this symptom while using both apps, and trying to record guitar parts. Has anyone else encountered this while using either one or both apps, and if there is a way to stop it form happening? I never had this issue arise while using iOS 7 or 8 before. It almost seems like a signal gets dropped somewhere. I'm also using the iRig HD interface.

iPad Mini, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 1:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2016 4:14 PM

I have the same issue using garage band (2.1) on an iPad mini (IOS 9.3) - I haven't tried it with my iPhone 6 yet. As I play bass, I haven't bought the bass amp for Amplitube yet, so I've not used that program, however there is a thread dealing with this over on the IK Multmedia forum where a few users are experiencing the same thing.

The issue is apparently a memory allocation issue which causes the input from the lightning connector to spike to maximum creating high levels of noise and distortion. This, according to the forum thread, only occurred with the recent upgrades to IOS 9.3 so it is a bug. IK Multimedia have tested other devices and the problem is not specific to their products.

Thread link: http://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11693

Apple support, please fix this issue or advise how to correct it. I have done a full reset of my iPad and that achieved nothing.

Currently, I work around it by ensuring there are no other apps running, changing track settings, selecting my amp and so forth prior to connecting my guitar, which, while it works to a degree is not satisfactory.

Please help.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2016 4:14 PM in response to Musicione8725

I have the same issue using garage band (2.1) on an iPad mini (IOS 9.3) - I haven't tried it with my iPhone 6 yet. As I play bass, I haven't bought the bass amp for Amplitube yet, so I've not used that program, however there is a thread dealing with this over on the IK Multmedia forum where a few users are experiencing the same thing.

The issue is apparently a memory allocation issue which causes the input from the lightning connector to spike to maximum creating high levels of noise and distortion. This, according to the forum thread, only occurred with the recent upgrades to IOS 9.3 so it is a bug. IK Multimedia have tested other devices and the problem is not specific to their products.

Thread link: http://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11693

Apple support, please fix this issue or advise how to correct it. I have done a full reset of my iPad and that achieved nothing.

Currently, I work around it by ensuring there are no other apps running, changing track settings, selecting my amp and so forth prior to connecting my guitar, which, while it works to a degree is not satisfactory.

Please help.

Distortion in GarageBand for iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.