Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to install extensions in Safari

I have OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 and Safari 9.0. When visiting the Safari Extensions Gallery there are no "Install now" links.

User uploaded file

My thinking was I might have to upgrade to El Capitan to be able to install extensions, but I see others who have already upgraded are having the same issue. I'm a new Macbook user.. not the way I wanted things to start. I have tried to watch the tours of both Yosemite and El Capitan but the "Install now" links are still missing. I have tried going through Safari > Safari Extensions... and Safari > Preferences... > Extensions > Get Extensions and both fail to show the links to install. I have also tried repairing permissions. Any help to fix this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 1:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 3:19 AM

Delete “Safari Extensions List” stored in Keychain Access.

Launch Spotlight from the menu bar and enter keychain in the search bar.

Double click highlighted Keychain Access entry under “TOP HIT”..

When Keychain Access window will open up.

Unlock it, if you have to.

Click the lock at the top left corner, give Administrator name and password.

Enter “extensions” in the search box at the top right corner.

When “Safari Extension List” shows up, highlight it, right click on it and choose Delete “Safari Extensions List”.

Quit Keychain Access.

User uploaded file

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2015 3:19 AM in response to FTWCode

Delete “Safari Extensions List” stored in Keychain Access.

Launch Spotlight from the menu bar and enter keychain in the search bar.

Double click highlighted Keychain Access entry under “TOP HIT”..

When Keychain Access window will open up.

Unlock it, if you have to.

Click the lock at the top left corner, give Administrator name and password.

Enter “extensions” in the search box at the top right corner.

When “Safari Extension List” shows up, highlight it, right click on it and choose Delete “Safari Extensions List”.

Quit Keychain Access.

User uploaded file

Oct 7, 2015 6:02 AM in response to dominic23

I used time machine to go back to the point before I updated. So I'm unable to run the test. I'm assuming that it had something to do with the 9.0 update. Now Safari goes to a different webpage where I'm able to download extensions. Going to stick with the version that works until apple sorts out the issue. If anyone finds a fix, I'd like to know about it. If I find one myself, I will be sure to post it here. It is disappointing to have this issue with a brand new mac. Are updates usually released in unstable/beta states?

Safari 9 - I cannot install extensions

Someone is also having a similar problem on OS X El Capitan. The post is from 6 days ago and a few people are having the same issue. It is not an issue with El Capitan. It seems to be the Safari 9.0 update itself.

Unable to install extensions in Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.