Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule in mixed device office.

Hi

In our office we have 20-30 devices (Mac and Windows) accessing our router via ethernet and wi-fi. It's a none Apple router.

Occasionally the wi-fi drops out when too many devices are accessing it, iPhones, iPads and iMacs, some Android devices.

We're thinking of purchasing a TC, 3GB to back up (7) our Macs over the network.

Can TC handle this amount of backups?

Can we set the inbuilt TC router to reduce the existing load on the wi-fi network? And If so, how would we go about this.

Thank you.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 1:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 4:23 AM

No, that is too many unless they have only tiny amount of data on their drives..

You can certainly use it for 3 or 4 and plug a USB drive into the TC for the rest.. but I would be very concerned about overloading the wireless.. Time Machines does hourly backups and is very intense while backing up..

It is better to use USB drive plugged directly into the Macs if they are desktops..

You might consider using whatever server you have but use something like Carbon Copy Cloner or Chronosync rather than Time Machine which has no controls.. for a business situation I think you need more..

You can certainly distribute the load by using a TC or an airport extreme.. plugged into the existing router and bridged.. that would help.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2015 4:23 AM in response to Daztheblue

No, that is too many unless they have only tiny amount of data on their drives..

You can certainly use it for 3 or 4 and plug a USB drive into the TC for the rest.. but I would be very concerned about overloading the wireless.. Time Machines does hourly backups and is very intense while backing up..

It is better to use USB drive plugged directly into the Macs if they are desktops..

You might consider using whatever server you have but use something like Carbon Copy Cloner or Chronosync rather than Time Machine which has no controls.. for a business situation I think you need more..

You can certainly distribute the load by using a TC or an airport extreme.. plugged into the existing router and bridged.. that would help.

Time Capsule in mixed device office.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.