Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Capitan won't boot - repeated rebuilds - help!

Hi,

I hope someone can help me. Since installing El Capitan I cannot reboot my iMac. It runs fine when it runs, but as soon as I reboot it gets as far as the grey apple with the loading indicator line below, then back to a black screen and start up noise repeatedly. The only way I have found to repair the Mac is to boot into the repair utility and rebuild the OS - each time taking between 5 and 7 hours.

I have also run the disk utility which doesn't seem to throw up any problems (from both the repair utility and from within El Captian).

Any suggestions most gratefully received,

Thanks

TG

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11), 4GB Ram

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 1:25 AM

5 replies

Oct 7, 2015 4:54 AM in response to Tex Gore

I will defer to the more expert persons like Linc Davis and Carolyn and hope they pick up on this issue.

As for what I have done, but it is major work, is do an erase and clean install of 10.11. That I have already done because I too had similar issue as your on the upgrade from 10.10.5 to 10.11.

Caution, if you do this, hope you have a TM backup or Clone that was done just before the upgrade - in case all else fails you could go back to 10.10.5

Good luck

Oct 8, 2015 4:27 AM in response to Tex Gore

Having searched various threads and the developer forum, the problem is fixed. It's to do with the KEXTS that El Capitan doesn't support. I fixed it by emailing Max who is active on the developer forums who sorted it all out for me by diagnosing and sending instructions over Skype/Email. Fantastic service and my iMac is completely fixed.

Max is on MacMax108@gmail.com

It sounds like an advert but it isn't - he really did help me out completely.

El Capitan won't boot - repeated rebuilds - help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.