Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unknown Chinese App on iPhone - Malware??

iPhone 6 running iOS 9.02.

While viewing apps in Battery Doctor I saw an unknown iPhone app listed as running in the background. These are the characters in screen shot and converted to text.

User uploaded file

圭厄党 一 爰新|蔔

My Chinese friend tells me that characters are meaningless, but the fonts look like they come from Mainland China. I'm guessing it's some kind of Malware or spyware. Unfortunately Apple no longer allows apps in the app store that deal with Malware.

There is no app with this name on my list of apps. I have never jailbroken my phone and I just did a clean install of everything only a few weeks ago. I've only connected to the App store in the US. I ran a scan on my Mac OS and didn't find Malware that goes from Mac to iPhone.

Anyone have any idea what this is or how to remove it?

Here's the screenshot below of the Battery Doctor interface and the suspect app is at the bottom.

User uploaded file

iPhone 6, iOS 9.0.2, 128 Gigs of Ram

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 2:58 AM

12 replies

Mar 29, 2016 10:17 AM in response to KevinT_29

Battery Doctor is pulling up the wrong information about the name of some app you have on your phone from its database. Whatever app it's showing with a Chinese name is some other, perfectly legitimate app you have on your phone. Battery Doctor's database is just plain wrong. It's kind of like if I labeled a jar of white powder in my cupboard "Anthrax" because the only label I had for a white powdered substance said Anthrax. Just because I didn't know it was powdered sugar and put the wrong name on it doesn't make it dangerous. It would however, probably make me someone you'd want to keep out of the kitchen.

Nov 25, 2015 4:20 AM in response to sswimmer

I Also have this; showed up on battery doctor's list of apps when I released memory, and as it turns out the apps using power. Both on a now crashed 16gb iPhone 5, and the new (to me) freshly installed iOS 9 iPhone 5/32gb. Possibly it's from battery doctor itself, as I have installed very few apps when I noticed it again. And had new Apple ID with o contact with other phone. I never noticed this before update to iOS 9 however; old phone was on iOS 7 forever until Apple forced me to update. (Or maybe could say allowed me since never had room without deleting way too much on the phone). Related to this, after updating to iOS 9, I was always out of space. I ended up deleting between 5-7gb of apps/data and was still running out of space. Possibly this was iOS 9's fault, but possibly not. Neither phone was jail broken, and only apps from the App Store (although old phone did have a lot of apps on it). I have not even restored my contact list from old phone, so whatever the Chinese character process is, it didn't come from that phone.

Mar 25, 2016 8:12 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

I Have the exact same problem. What worries me is that if I delete Battery Doctor, I'm not convinced it will delete this App. What if it is an invisible SpyWare App and it is only visible in the Battery Doctor list of Apps that draw power??? Then the Spyware may still be there... There must be a better, surer way to get rid of this. I don't care about Battery Doctor, mediocre App at best.

ANybody have any ideas?

Mar 26, 2016 4:33 PM in response to PRouleau

PRouleau wrote:

I Have the exact same problem. What worries me is that if I delete Battery Doctor, I'm not convinced it will delete this App. What if it is an invisible SpyWare App and it is only visible in the Battery Doctor list of Apps that draw power??? Then the Spyware may still be there... There must be a better, surer way to get rid of this. I don't care about Battery Doctor, mediocre App at best.

There is no app to delete. The problem is that Battery Doctor is giving you false information. It's mislabeling another app.

Unless you have jailbroken your phone, you really have nothing to worry about. There is no spyware that can be installed on your phone.

Mar 27, 2016 8:29 AM in response to PRouleau

PRouleau wrote:

OK, I want to believe you. I never did any jailbreak on my phone. I have of course deleted the Battery Doctor App. May I ask how you know that it is displaying false information?

Lots of experience with Battery Doctor. Is there a non-zero chance you have malware? Possibly. Is it close enough to zero to be not worth worrying about? Yes.

Unknown Chinese App on iPhone - Malware??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.