Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Airport intermittently drops wifi connections from devices and does not allow reconnection for a period. Othertimes it can run all day without dropping a device. Any thoughts on how to solve this?

My Airport Extreme drops connections from ipad's and laptops intermittently. It can then take time and several attempts to be able to reconnect. The drop out is from the wifi network (not related to internet connectivity). It can run for 1-2 days without a problem but then be troublesome on another day.

Any advice on how to solve this issue?

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 3:26 AM

4 replies

Oct 7, 2015 1:33 PM in response to Chris_farnhamcommon

There are several free and paid apps to do wireless analysis.. I suggest you use one of them on your ipad.. I don't use them so unsure what to recommend.

On the PC there are lots of great softwares .. inssider is popular one.

In the setup of the Extreme which I hope you did from the ipad..

You should NOT use apple names recommended by the setup wizard.

Change names to short .. 2-20 characters, no spaces and pure alphanumerics.

All passwords should be same, except you can have 8-20 characters.. more only needed to calm your paranoia.

Setup fixed channels.. and different wireless names for the two bands.

Since 2.4ghz is flooded.. try and use 5ghz as much as possible.

The apple wireless setup often has issues with PC wireless cards.. Intel in particular.. ie most laptops. Do not be at all surprised to get issues with windows.. and latest iOS is hardly any better.

But the setup of the Extreme.. after you have done the above.. is subject to sudden wireless dropouts.. if it continues.. take your AE back to apple for testing/replacement.. although half the time the replacement is no better.

Post screenshots from the ipad of the setup if you want more details.

And I need to know what broadband modem you have and how the AE is setup.. bridge or router to start with.

My Airport intermittently drops wifi connections from devices and does not allow reconnection for a period. Othertimes it can run all day without dropping a device. Any thoughts on how to solve this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.