Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Capitan Upgrade Loses iCloud Outgoing Server

Installed El Capitan yesterday. Have lost outgoing mail server for iCloud. iCloud mail still works ok on other devices (iPad, iPhone) and mail sent from those devices shows in send items on Mac. But sending from Mac displays message 'No outgoing mail server" (etc). Have looked at settings but iCloud outgoing server not displayed as option. What to do?

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 3:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 3:50 AM

Welcome to the Apple community.

Try removing the account from the mail app and then adding it back.

10 replies

Oct 7, 2015 8:42 AM in response to peroni10

Hi Peroni10.

I had this problem and resolved it by going to Mail preferences and selecting the account you're having issues with. Then select the Outgoing Mail Server drop down menu and click Edit SMTP Server List. Then click the plus sign to add a new outgoing server and fill in the following details:

Description: ICloud Outgoing 2

Server name: smtp.mail.me.com

Click the Advanced Tab and enter the following details:

Toggle SSL encryption to On or Yes.

Set the port to 587.

Set Authentication Required to Password.

Enter your iCloud email address as the username, using @me.com instead of @icloud.com— example: jim@me.com

Enter your iCloud password.

Then click ok

You will now be back in the accounts information tab of Mail Preferences. Again click on the Outgoing Mail Server drop down menu and select your new server ICloud Outgoing 2. Then exit Preferences and save changes.

This should solve the problem.

El Capitan Upgrade Loses iCloud Outgoing Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.