Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook 2.1 - Iphone ios 9 - Itunes

Hello

I have a Macbook 2,1 - Intel Core 2 Duo - 2.16 GHz - Memory 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, running 10.6.8, iTunes 11.4.

I have iPhone 5, running ios 9.0.2 wich requires the new version of iTunes.

I know it's too late to downgrade my Iphone to ios 8.

I know I can't update iTunes because my Mac is too old.

I'm not the first person complaining about the incompatibility message ONLT AFTER the update, but anyways...

So here are my questions :

- Is there any possibility to upgrade my Macbook so I can use WHATEVER iTunes version who works with ios 9 ?

Is ios 9 only working with iTunes 12 ?

I think my Macbook is too old to run Mavericks, Yosemite or El Capitan, right ?

- Should I install an other software instead of iTunes ? I don't trust the ones I don't know but I need to put new music on my iPhone

Is there any solution ? I did a lot of research and I don't know what to do now...

Thanks

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), iTunes 11.4

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 3:46 AM

7 replies

Oct 8, 2015 4:43 AM in response to nocnoc23

If you want the quick answers, no and no, and a partial solution.

Looking at the facts, Apple's iOS9 manual pages say it will work with OSX 10.6.8. There are posts from a few people who upgraded iOS over the air and apparently can still sync with iTunes 11.4. There are also many, many posts from people who say they have to have 12.3. Go figure. Given that Apple has long not supported hardware and software older than 5 years I would not necessarily anticipate a solution. It is about typical for your computer to now being locked into its final version of Apple software, and to start being shut out of most other software for that matter (I use a 13 year old computer and have never owned a new one so I am very familiar with this). Even if they do decide that this in-clarity as to what will run with iOS9 and what won't needs a fix it probably won't be a banner headline groveling in apology, it will be another iTunes update.

Nothing but iTunes will sync with an iPhone. I believe somebody has come out with a utility which place media on a phone but it too requires OSX 10.9+

Partial solution:

- Subscribe to iTunes Match or Apple Music and sync with iCloud.

- Transfer purchases directly from the iTunes Store to the phone over wi-fi.

- Use Dropbox or other services to transfer data files

- Use Image Capture or Photo Stream to transfer items from the Camera Roll.

Oct 8, 2015 11:40 AM in response to Limnos

Hey Limnos,

thanks for your fast answer !

When you say : ¨

Even if they do decide that this in-clarity as to what will run with iOS9 and what won't needs a fix it probably won't be a banner headline groveling in apology, it will be another iTunes update.¨

What do you exactly mean ? English is not my mother tongue and I'm not sure I really understand🙂

I'm quite disappointed to learn that there is no alternative software to sync an iPhone with a computer (and to do backups).

As for the partial solutions :

- iTunes Match cost 25$ + buying space on iCloud...I have 30 GB of music so I'm not sure about this option

- I just bought 1 song on the iTunes Store so I'm punished for downloading via illegal software

- Dropbox for data files as PDF, why not but I can also send them by mail

- For photos, my previous method was to use Adobe Bridge. At least this is still working

Now my concerns are real.

Should I try to install iTunes 12.3 for my Macbook by changing some letters/numbers in the ¨package contents¨ (don't know how to call those codes sheets) ? I did it for FinalCut Pro on this computer and it works slowly but it works. Would that be possible with iTunes or it's way to dangerous for my devices & back ups ?

Should I try to jailbreak my iPhone to go back to IOS 8 ? I know that Apple blocked the usual way to do it but I also know that some people are able to do it. Do you think a new jailbreak will come out soon ? Is it also a big risk ?

Thank you !

Oct 8, 2015 1:47 PM in response to nocnoc23

It is not clear what the situation is. Yes, there is some small indication in Apple's document saying only 10.6.8 is needed with iOS9, and that for some people they can still get old iTunes versions to work with iOS9, maybe the requirement people are seeing on computers was not intentional. Or maybe Apple slipped up on the other things and you really do have to have iTunes 12.3. If Apple did jump the gun on not making iTunes 12.3 work with OSX 10.6 Apple does NOT post notices saying "Dear Customer, we are very sorry for the mistake we made and please accept our apologies." In cases where a bug makes its way into software Apple's way of announcing a solution is to simply produce an update with a notice on a web page saying bug such-and-such repaired. However, since this is all in connection with outdated software then it is also quite possible Apple will say what has happened has happened and do nothing. We do not know and Apple does not make announcements about this kind of thing, particularly for out-of-support software affecting only a small percentage of users.

- Music does not count towards iCloud storage space if you are using Match.

- I don't understand your second comment. Where does it say this is illegal?? You can continue to download to your computer using the old iTunes version. You can download directly to the phone over wi-fi. Where's the problem?

We can't help you on this web site with the kind of hacks you are describing. It is against the terms of use, sorry.

Oct 8, 2015 3:29 PM in response to nocnoc23

Since others have reported being able to install iOS over the air and still use iTunes 11.4 under OSX 10.6.8 you may be better off trying to make the version you have work. Installing 12.3 may be tricky. I believe some version information is stored in the .plist file for iTunes in your library and that may be a place to start initially. I am presuming you know what I am talking about as we are now getting outside the realm of novice user. Make sure you have solid backup before doing this kind of thing. I do not have your issue so I cannot test anything on my end first.

Macbook 2.1 - Iphone ios 9 - Itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.