Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VPP : can't Assign Apps to users/AppleID without a device | server 5.0

Hi,

I am trying to set up VPP distribution using the profile manager in OSX server 5.0.4 and I find something weird.

What is working :

• I have successfully configured my server and linked my VPP token.
  • I can see the Apps purchased with our VPP account in the profile manager and can add them to our users.
  • I can send a VPP invite (by email) to a user (from the profile manager) and he can accept the invite and subscribe his Apple ID to our profile manager.

What isn't working :

We assign some Apps to this user in the profile manager but he can't see/install them from the Mac App Store purchase's history.

What is weird :

• If the same user enroll one device from the .../mydevices/ server website all the assigned Apps showed up in his purchase's history (and he can install the assigned Apps on any Mac not only the enrolled one)
  • If we remove the enrolled device, the Apps disappeared from the purchase's history (but we didn't remove the assigned Apps from the user)

In the OS X Deploymentdocumentation I have found :

"Distribute VPP apps and books to users

For users to participate in managed distribution via VPP, they must be invited. Since users are invited directly through email, devices they use aren’t required to enroll in MDM. Organizations where users bring their own devices (BYOD) benefit from this type of distribution"

Does anyone have an idea why this isn't working ?

Thank you and even more if you have a solution ;-)

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 4:42 AM

12 replies

Oct 8, 2015 5:12 AM in response to Occyss

Hi, same problem here.

I was wondering

"The user accepts the invitation: After an app is assigned to a user, it appears in that user’s App Store purchase history. You can prompt the user to accept the app, or you can silently install the app on Mac computers enrolled in MDM."

Could this possibly mean that user based distribution is reserved only to Mac apps?

Oct 8, 2015 5:55 AM in response to alessio_ic

"happy" to see that i am not the only one with this problem.

To answer your question, with the Profile Manager :

• if you want to assign Apps to an user/AppleID without any enrolled device (if it's working !), you can only distribute Apps or iBooks from the Mac App Store and the iTunes App Store.
  • if you have an enrolled device, you can push application .apps (like Firefox) but not .pkg (use ARD or other MDM solution instead). For iOS you will be able to push "In-House Apps".

Oct 8, 2015 6:14 AM in response to Occyss

on a second tough, same document

https://help.apple.com/deployment/osx/?lang=en#/iorab247ae15

Distribute VPP apps and books to users

For users to participate in managed distribution via VPP, they must be invited. Since users are invited directly through email, devices they use aren’t required to enroll in MDM. Organizations where users bring their own devices (BYOD) benefit from this type of distribution:

VPP can be used with non enrolled devices, using an user based distribution

Distribute in-house apps and books

In-house apps are distributed to devices, not users. Devices must be enrolled in an MDM solution to install apps purchased through the VPP and in-house apps.

VPP can not be used for user based distribution, just for (enrolled) devices

Am I missing something? Does this mean VPP and user distrib is ok for apps that are present in the public store, but not for apps privately released to customers VPP accounts? What a mess ...

Nov 10, 2015 3:33 AM in response to MatthewHager

Keep hope, when I reported that bug (few weeks ago) Apple told me that they never heard of it but after a few days they call me back and confirm this is bug appeared with Server version 5 (released mid-september) and it should be fix in an futur update (rather sooner than later hopefully). And I know that one of Apple engineer open a bug report as well.

Until then try to find a Server version 4, it works fine (or enroll the user's device...).

If I have any news i will post it here.

Feb 18, 2016 7:09 AM in response to Bosco1983

The original problem is, using VPP without devices enrolled should be supported but isn't working. As Occyss stated, Apple acknowledged this as a bug and is working on a fix.

I don't want to enroll devices instead I want to assign Apps directly to users Apple IDs.

I wanted to check if there is a release date for the fix or if it's perhaps already included in the OSX Server 5.1 beta.

VPP : can't Assign Apps to users/AppleID without a device | server 5.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.