Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My notes are GONE after I had to restore it! I have always had them backed up and now when I need them back its not working. Is there still hope?!!

these notes are really sentimental to Me, they still have to be in a backup somewhere right? Please tell me they're not gone.

IM so mad, I made sure they are always checked that they are checked to be backed up and now they're all gone. Any help will be appreciated.

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 4:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 5:47 AM

What did you have to restore, how did you back up, please provide a few more details of your problem.

17 replies

Oct 7, 2015 6:04 AM in response to Winston Churchill

ON my iCloud backup options on the iphone5 I have always had notes checked so id never lose them, I double checked that first before I freaked out and had to start trying to restore, it was checked as it always was, so it should still be in the backup somewhere right?

Idid a restore to iCloud backup, the latest one that was available when I knew I still had the notes on there.

Everything came back except the notes.

Oct 8, 2015 7:06 AM in response to summejs

Ok, sorry if I'm not giving enough details. I logged into icloud.com on my pc but the notes aren't there either.

However, what's making me crazy is after doing my restore, one...ONE note came back (sorry I forgot to mention that earlier) of the 250+ that i lost.

Because this one note is there makes me think they were all backed up somewhere, right? It wasn't even the most recent note,

Oct 8, 2015 2:16 PM in response to fromsouth

II don't think I synced them to email, how do You do that? I read thru a couple other forums on here where people found them after the fact by going to their gmail and/or yahoo email>turn on notes. I did that after the fact, but can't see anything yet unless they're somewhere else and I just don't know where to look?

I Don't understand what it means to have my notes checked like you see in your pic above if that doesn't mean they're backed up?

also, since that one note came back, where are the others?

thank you both for your time, I really appreciate it. I guess I thougt I was somewhat Tech savvy, but still could use a lot of help obviously 🙂

Oct 8, 2015 3:52 PM in response to summejs

Notes on the phone can be

1. Backed up if they are in the group "on my iphone"

or

2 Synced if they are in one of the mail accounts. Icloud is just one of the mail accounts available.

So if they are not on icloud.com website they can be in one of two places

Place number 1.

Any email account that was/is setup on your phone and to find you need to go to gmail or yahoo or other websites login and find notes folder.

Place number 2.

Inside of actual iPhone backup that you can and need to in that case restore back to the phone.

Any of that makes sense?

Oct 8, 2015 4:27 PM in response to fromsouth

OK there is hope! i had them set up as "on my iphone" I just have to try and figure out where they are.

I'll go to the gmail and yahoo websites too and see, I've just been looking for the notes folder in the emails on my phone with no luck, sounds like i have to go to the full site? Hopefully I can get lucky and find them, thanks again for your help. I'll let you know if it works

Oct 9, 2015 1:11 AM in response to summejs

Backing up of notes can be somewhat confusing as there isn't an option to back up notes anywhere. If the notes were in an on my Phone group I believe they should have restored when you restored your phone, perhaps one note was.

If they were in the cloud and you deleted them, the theory goes that they were backed up but when they are restored they are immediately overwritten by the cloud syncing more recent data to the notes app, as such you might wish to try the following (I have had one person say it has worked, although I've posted this as a possible solution several times)

Oct 9, 2015 2:45 AM in response to Winston Churchill

even though I had them saved to "on my iphone" I still haven't found them. No luck with the emails either..

when you do a restore, is there a difference between restoring it ro an iCloud back up or an iphone backup? This could be the only possibility I have left is if the iphone backup would work instead? i didn't want to restore again until I did more research in fear of losing even more.

which method did you day worked for one other person before?

thank you both again for all your help!! I'm still holding out a little hope 🙂

My notes are GONE after I had to restore it! I have always had them backed up and now when I need them back its not working. Is there still hope?!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.