Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Students cannot download apps at school

I cannot download apps at school. I am systems administrators at a school in Netherlands with 900 students with an iPad. Ipads are actively used in every days lessons. Our Wifi network is adequately equipped for heavy use, with 75 access points with 4 radios each, Gigabit cabling and network switches. An internetconnectio nof 300 Mbps. The firewall is not blocking the App Store . Still students cannot download apps. Sometimes , when they turn their ipad off and on again, they are able to download one or two apps. Our infrastructure was checked by an external network engineer and he couldn't find any blockage in the firewall or configuration that wouldn't permit communcation with the App Store, except for fragmented packets, which shouldn't be an issue. I have heard that Apple is actively capping bandwidth of users (ip-addresses) of heavy downloaders of the App Store. Is that true?. As we don't have any caching server , that might be the case. I can't however verify that. Do you have any suggestions?

iPad, iOS 9

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 5:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2015 5:53 PM

here's a list of the ports apple uses

TCP and UDP ports used by Apple software products - Apple Support

It may be a DNS problem, to much traffic on wifi

check there is no restrictions on updating or installing apps in any profiles you have applied to the devices

if you have no restrictions try downloading apps from off site.

check any restrictions on wifi vlan, presuming students are segregated.

Grab a student device, connect it to staff wifi if it downloads OK you've got a network issue somewhere

try after hours, if it works you've got a network issue.

I've never heard of Apple capping bandwidth to users, Apple have massive server farms and bandwidth it match.

logically if this was an issue the apple forums would be full of users complaining about not being able to download apps

You could try wireshark and try capture what's happening on the network when you try to download apps

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2015 5:53 PM in response to Sikkepitje

check there is no restrictions on updating or installing apps in any profiles you have applied to the devices

Grab a student device, connect it to staff wifi if it downloads OK you've got a network issue somewhere

I've never heard of Apple capping bandwidth to users, Apple have massive server farms and bandwidth it match.

logically if this was an issue the apple forums would be full of users complaining about not being able to download apps

You could try wireshark and try capture what's happening on the network when you try to download apps

Oct 10, 2015 6:43 AM in response to iToaster

iToaster wrote:

I think it's right.

Students cannot download apps at school

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.