Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time to move on

My current site was made with iWeb with quite a few workarounds to get things the way that I wanted them, which has made the site difficult to manage over the long term, but I've coped. I did however know that one day iWeb is likely to stop working and I'd need to move on.

Well, iWeb hasn't stopped working so far, but I forgot that half of the resources I used on my site were hosted with a different company to the other half and I let my subscription with that host lapse. Anyway rather than work through my site correcting everything to work with one host, I figured this is the time to move on and hopefully I could find a product that is as easy to use as iWeb but has moved on in terms of ability and things it can do.

My expertise in in property not website design, I spent a while learning how to do some (what I felt were) tricky things around iWeb which I largely forgot once my site was finished, I realise this was a mistake now and hope to avoid the same mistake going forward.

I'm looking for some recommendations, I was going to look at Everweb and Dreamweaver and maybe some more before making my decision. I've already taken a look at dreamweaver but was a little put out that whilst I can download trial software I had to subscribe to the tutorials to learn how to use it beyond the basics (i.e. creating ones own theme or customising an existing theme)

Anyway here is my current website, some things are missing because I let my hosting subscription lapse, but hopefully it should give some idea of what I'm hoping to achieve. Does anyone have any thoughts about which software might suit me.

OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), Apple TV 1, Apple TV 2, Apple TV 3

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 5:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2015 12:47 AM

I think you will find Dreamweaver to be an overkill for your needs. It's got a lot of features and requires a big investment to learn how to use it. It's also very expensive.

Since you already know iWeb, EverWeb works almost exactly the same as it. I think you'll like it and you can basically copy and paste much of your older site into EverWeb.

I looked at your existing site and it won't be difficult at all to redo in EverWeb.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2015 12:47 AM in response to Winston Churchill

I think you will find Dreamweaver to be an overkill for your needs. It's got a lot of features and requires a big investment to learn how to use it. It's also very expensive.

Since you already know iWeb, EverWeb works almost exactly the same as it. I think you'll like it and you can basically copy and paste much of your older site into EverWeb.

I looked at your existing site and it won't be difficult at all to redo in EverWeb.

Oct 10, 2015 2:07 AM in response to Winston Churchill

What hasn't sold me completely on EverWeb is the lack of a "My Albums" type widget. EverWeb uses an Image Gallery widget instead of a Photo page like in iWeb. That's fine, the Image Gallery widget works good. But on my upholstery business site, I have about 15 photo pages. The beauty of iWeb is the "My Albums" page automatically organizes all the photo pages. In EverWeb, if you want to organize all the Image Gallery pages, you need to manually create the My Albums type page. There is currently no EverWeb widget to do so. At least not one that I know of.

On my upholstery site, the photo gallery is one of the most important parts of my site. If EverWeb had a widget, equivalent to iWebs My Albums, I probably would have switched a year ago. Luckily, iWeb continues to live in El Capitan.

Time to move on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.