Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Strange frame rate issue just started happening

FCPX 10.2.2.

I have a bunch of clips that have suddenly started acting strange, even when just playing them from the event list. For example, in one clip that's 23.98fps, if I slowly arrow through frame by frame, in every group of 4 consecutive frames, one frame is dropped (as if it was deleted) and a different frame is duplicated. If I "Reveal in finder" and play the original version, it does not have this problem in QuickTime 7.

By the way, Motion 5 has the same issue. If I open the original source file in Motion, and arrow through the frames, it does the same thing (duplicate a frame and drop another frame).

This clip (in fact all my problem clips) were fine yesterday during the day. Then I opened up the project again in the evening, and this started happening. I haven't changed anything - not in the project, not on the computer.

Starting a new Library and importing the original files doesn't change anything - the problem still occurs.

I tried creating optimized media for one of the problem clips. When I drill into the FCPX library file by using "Show package contents", and open the optimized media file (in the Transcoded Media/High Quality Media folder), using QuickTime 7 player, this optimized file has the same issue. It's been transcoded this way - dropping one frame and duplicating another.

Let me say that again, and let it sink in: The optimized file, which in theory should be a frame-by-frame copy of the original, actually has different frames than the original file. I would have said that's impossible.

This doesn't happen with all of my clips. I have some projects with clips that have no issues. These clips came from different sources, so perhaps it's a problem that only occurs with certain types of encodings, but that's just a shot in the dark.

And again, everything was fine yesterday during the day. And nothing got changed that I know of - not in the projects, not on my computer. I even tried rebooting and repairing disk permissions, but that didn't help.

Does anyone have any ideas? This is so strange - I have no explanation whatsoever. It's so strange that I slept on it, thinking I was dreaming, and everything would be fine in the morning. Alas, not dreaming.

OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 7, 2015 6:15 AM

1 reply

Oct 7, 2015 7:19 AM in response to Dan Thomas (DAGWare)

Well, this is too strange. I reset my preferences (hold down shift+command while starting FCPX). Now it appears that most of the videos are working correctly. A few still have issues, but I suppose it's possible they had issues before and I didn't notice, although I doubt it. Fortunately, I used Handbrake to re-encode one of the ones that still had issues, and it fixed the problem. Not my favorite solution, but it will suffice.

I'd still like to know what happened...

Strange frame rate issue just started happening

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.